How many protein drinks a day do you drink?

(deactivated member)
on 5/6/11 6:52 am - Boston, MA
 it is hard but pretty much I only eat protein my protein for the past 4 days has been 78, 66, 70, 61 and that was staying under 800 calories.  I have found a few that I like the taste of, BUT as I said any and all liquids do not agree with me for some reason.. my NUT said sometimes this happens and hopefully it will get easier and it has gotten a littl easier.. I am now able to get about 40 oz in of all water, I hate any artificial sugars.  I don't understand how food can go in fine, I can eat dry ass beeff jerky and not even chew it all that great.. but  a sip of liquid sits in my chest like a ton of bricks.
Katari
on 5/6/11 6:59 am - OR
Gotta disagree with ya. LOL. I didn't use any protein drinks after the first two weeks post surgery and was getting in at least 65 to 75 grams of protein a day. Yes, it requires more work to make sure you are getting the protein in, but it IS possible to do it without protein supplements.

Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

Cleopatra_Nik
on 5/6/11 7:02 am - Baltimore, MD
Fair enough.

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

azreggie
on 5/6/11 6:34 am - Tucson, AZ
I have one protein drink a day regardless, still. My surgeon told me you're gonna lose some hair no matter what you do so get ready for it.  Take your vitamins, get all your protein in and enough water and maybe it won't be so bad.

Reggie

Carrie W.
on 5/6/11 6:36 am - KY
None.  My NUT wants us to get all our protein from food so I do.  I wanted to bump up the protein so I gave up my veggies.  All meat all the way for me, lol. 
  HW 347/SW 328/CW 176/GW 160                   

Cleopatra_Nik
on 5/6/11 6:37 am - Baltimore, MD
Oh you brave, brave soul. Even with supplements I had to do the "all meat, all the time" thing for a good four months after surgery and after a bit I would have KILLED for a piece of brocolli, a green bean, ANYTHING!

On another note, I don't get why some NUTs discourage protein drinks. I get that they don't want us choosing the wrong ones or getting dependent but the well balanced ones help. In the beginning I would not have been able to get all my protein from food. It just wasn't possible on what I could eat then.

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

Carrie W.
on 5/6/11 6:47 am - KY
Oh let me tell you, the green beans are calling my name!  I give in every couple days and have a serving of asparagus or something.  I can't wait for the 3 month mark so I can have squash.  It doesn't get any better than grilled squash

I'm not supposed to snack so I definitely don't want to give up a meal for a shake!  I still like to eat ...  I'm playing it pretty close to my 600 cal max without the shakes so ....

I thought before surgery that I would do a meal replacement shake for lunch because it's easy to carry around.  Now I carry lunch meat and cheese around so it works out about the same.  Much more satisfying IMO. 
  HW 347/SW 328/CW 176/GW 160                   

Cleopatra_Nik
on 5/6/11 6:53 am - Baltimore, MD

If it works for you go for it!

I do meal replacement shakes. They're typically about 45g of protein which keeps me full way too long for me to even think I'm doing a snack!

Me and meat have an iffy relationship.

gochristy1971
on 5/6/11 6:48 am - CA
Not doubting you...but would you mind posting a day's menu of how you get that much protein in with just food at this stage?  You had surgery 2 days after I did, so I'm curious!  I don't think I could do it without the shakes.
Katari
on 5/6/11 7:03 am - OR
I'm not the one you replied to, but I also didn't use any protein supplements after two weeks post-op. I ate lots of fish, chili, cheese, milk, eggs, yogurt etc.
I would basically eat one can of tuna a day (26 grams) spread throughout the day (not all at once. lol)
two sticks of string cheese (20 grams)
two glasses of milk (20 grams).
that by it's self is 66 grams of protein. I usually ate more than that but that's a good example.

Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 292 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 218 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 285 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 146 views