Hypoglycemia 7 months post op?

JacksMommy
on 5/6/11 2:21 am - Panama City, FL
Anyone experienced this? I have been having the low sugar symptoms (Shaking, weak, light headedness). I have been monitoring my levels for the past few days and will continue until the Dr. appointment I made for this issue. My levels for yesterday were 68 AM Fasting. I was a little shaky. Then, 2 hours after I ate breakfast, lunch, and dinner they were all pretty close 71-73. Is this normal or low? I keep getting the shakes and stuff and its freaking me out:(
Christa Consigny 11LBS. lost Pre-op

JacksMommy
on 5/6/11 2:24 am - Panama City, FL
I should add that I have never had any sugar problems...ever.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/6/11 2:34 am - OH
I do not have anything tom monitor my levels, so I cannot help you on that part (I don;t know how quickly after eating they drop), but I can tell you that I started noticing the hypoglycemia at about 6 months out (when I intiially started to remove the 2 snacks from my menu (since I could eat more at each meal)).  As soon as I put the protein snacks (combo of protein and some kind of complex carb) back in between the meals (and added one shortly before bed (to ward off shakiness upon arising), I was fine.

I occasionally get RH symptoms after I eat if I don't do a good job of mixing my protein and carbs, but those occurrences are rare.  MY sugar just falls too low when I go too long between eating.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Pam T.
on 5/6/11 3:04 am - Saginaw, MI
 Unfortunately this is pretty common in the WLS community. I've written about my experiences on my blog here: http://pamtremble.blogspot.com/2010/10/reactive-hypoglycemia-after-bariatric.html

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

kipz303
on 5/6/11 3:06 am
I have the same problem! I was told it's very common and almost expected. However, I have added an extra 15 minutes to the time that I don't drink after I eat and that helped me.  I was still drinking too soon after I ate and it was washing all my food out too quickly.

RNY - August 13, 2010

LBL - October 29, 2012

a total of 271 lbs lost!!

ToriRaye
on 5/6/11 9:25 am - FL
Have your doctor check into the pancreas.  I researched something about low sugar being an issue about 2 yrs out from sugery and it is related to the pancreas.  Somehow the pancreas adjusts to manage sugar and those adjustments don't go away after surgery.  Therefore, after surgery, some patients experience the low sugar issue because the organ still has the same adjusted settings to combat sugar and now you aren't eating sugar. 

I am sorry I don't know the technical terms, but I do know Mayo Clinic was doing research on this.  There are five letters in the term of what they call it.   Oh yes... it is called Non-Insulinoma Pancreatogenous Hypoglycemia Syndrome.  The condition can result in very low blood sugar levels. 

Talk to your doctor and check it out at Mayo Clinic.  Here is a link that may help:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/bariatric-surgery/complications.ht ml

I will keep you in my thoughts.  I have a cousin who is having the same issues with low sugar.  I know there are options which I believe you will find in your research.

Good luck.

Don't focus on where you are - Focus on where you want to be!
CarolAmante64
on 5/15/11 12:27 pm - Somerdale, NJ
IF I WHERE YOU  I WOULD GET HOLD OF THE SERGEN  AND MY PCP / FAMILY  DOCTOR  NOW  AND NOT PUT IT OFF  TO LONG .
Most Active
Recent Topics