Frustrated with weight loss

gettingthere11
on 5/8/11 12:18 pm
This is my first post, but I'm a long time stalker.  It has been over 8 months since my surgery and I'm frustrated with my weight loss.  I know that I shouldn't compare my weight loss with others, but i can't help it.  I have lost 91 pounds to date, but I feel that I should have lost more weight by this time.  I eat 1000 to 1200 calories a day and work out 3-4 times a week (at least 45 minutes of cardio).  I take all my vitamins, drink at least 50 oz of fluids per day and have at least 50 grams of protein a day.  I'm a type 1 diabetic, so I'm still taking insulin which could be the reason for the slow weight loss.  

I know there is some great advice out there.  Could someone tell me if I'm doing anything wrong?

Lady Lithia
on 5/8/11 12:19 pm
I would try to double your protein and your liquid

I lost 108 pounds in my first 12 months.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Pam T.
on 5/8/11 12:39 pm - Saginaw, MI
You are not behind on your weight loss. In fact, you're a bit ahead of the game. Here are the averages most people see (from my OH Profile):

And just to give you a VERY GENERAL rule of thumb on what to expect for averages, here's some guidelines.  But remember that AVERAGE means nobody hits these numbers exactly, half of the people will be below the average and half will be above the average - this is only for reference:

Month 1 --- 20-ish pounds lost
Months 2-6 --- 7-10ish pounds lost
After Month 6 --- 5-7ish pounds lost -- or whatever the heck  your body feels like doing

So at 8 months post-op you should be around 65 to 84 pounds lost. Which means you're a FASTER loser than most other people.

However, I agree that you NEED to increase your protein intake. 50g is the minimum needed by normal-gutted people who don't suffer from malabsorption and are not on a high-protein diet. You should be averaging 80-100g of protein per day.  And your fluid intake needs to be no less than 64oz per day. 

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

ephraimmeir77
on 5/8/11 3:43 pm - CA
To be perfectly honest with you I think that you might want to lower your daily calorie intake WHILE increasing your protein. Perhaps 600-800 calories a day would work better.
Ephraim Osgood

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 29 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 293 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 298 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 338 views