Protein Shakes - Question and Seeking Reccomendations

Jenny_D
on 5/11/11 4:14 am - Canton, GA
 Hi All,

I know this has been discussed before, but I can't find the post, so forgive the repeat.

I know there is a difference in the type of protein shake, as in a certin kind is better than others, but I can't remember which is the better choice. I think what I want to look for is Whey Protein Isolate. Is that correct?

And then - from the BTDT experts, which would you recommend for taste?

I wanted to try a few before my surgery, but it's not like they come in trial sizes. I'd hate to buy a giant jug of powder and then hate it, so I figured I could narrow down my choices based on your reccomendations.

What do you all think of the Isopure Drinks? They seem good to me. They aren't powders, aren't shakes, and come in great flavors....and they have 40g of protein in a 20oz bottle.
Jenny         HW: 268 / SW: 254 / CW: 180 / GW: 140
First 5K: 4.21.2012 - Time: 34:45 - 2nd Place in age group
Second 5K: 6.2.2012 - Time 37:09

inocntdevil19
on 5/11/11 4:20 am - sylvania , OH

I just had this apt with my nutritionist and you are correct you want it to have WHEY protein. 

You also want it to have atleast 18 grams of protein or more.  reccomended is 25-35 per serving but ATLEAST 18. 
also the MORE protein in the LEAST amount of liquid seems to taste the worst
ex a shake that has 25g of protein in a 4 ounce serving will taste way worse than a shake that has 25 ounces in 8 ounce serving.

most meals are suppose to be eaten 2-4 ounces in 30 minutes with the EXCEPTION of protein shakes you can take in a full 8 ounce serving but they want it to take you one HOUR to drink it. 

not sure if any of that made sense but that is how it ws explained to me last week.

and even with all that knowledge I am still scared to go out and find a good tasting shake.  it seems like I have the knowledge but feel like I dont even know where to start.

NIXMOMMIE
on 5/11/11 4:26 am - NC
Welcome to Oz sweetie,. As far as shakes go, go with what your nut says. As far as trying them, you can go to most of the protein shake sites and they will send you samples of powder mixes. You may have to pay shipping but still cheaper than buying a huge tub and not liking it. Good luck, and Welcome again.

gochristy1971
on 5/11/11 4:28 am - CA
Actually, vitalady.com sells sample sizes of many many different kinds of protein mixes.  I have tried many samples from her, and glad I did, because I didn't like many of them.  Check it out!
Christy
Weights: Surgery 317 Current 242 GW ???
psx chelly
on 5/11/11 4:40 am

I was just going to say what Christy just said. 

Go to   "  vitalady.com " she has ALL trial sizes of EVERYTHING that is healthy for "us".  there are so many trial package choices its crazy.

I highly recomend any flavor of "Syntrax Nectar" mixed in 11oz Vitamin Water ZERO.  I personally buy Fuzzy Navel, Cherry, and Pink Grapefruit.

Ladytazz
on 5/11/11 4:44 am
There aren't that many protein drinks that taste very good by themselves.  I just use Body Fortress from Walmart because they have the best price and then I add things to them like decaf coffee, sugar free pudding mixes, sugar free syrups and different types of milk like almond milk or soy milk.  Bariatric Foodie or Eggface have a lot of recipes.  With the weather turning warmer you can also invest in an ice cream maker for yummy protein ice cream.  It takes a little work but you can make your protein something to look forward to.
I really recommend getting in at least 100 grams of protein a day.  I have seen it really help with the weight loss.  Of course it may take a while to get up there but it is something to work towards.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

jenna F.
on 5/11/11 5:12 am
 I use Visalus Vi-shape and love it! I am almost 10 years out and this is the only shake I have been able to drink and keep down. They are low calorie, diabetic friendly, lactose free, and delicious!! You control the flavor so there is no way you will get tired of them and I can say for myself I am the healthies today I have ever been!

Check them out and let me know if you have any questions. My nutritionist, surgeon and regluar doctor all gave me the thumbs up to use them and are all super impressed by them

http://473849.bodybyvi.com/
cajungirl
on 5/11/11 6:03 am
check out www.vitalady.com she has samples of many protein shakes.  My favorite right now is the Optimum Nutrition Vanilla because I can change it up with s/f puddings, jellos or fruit and sugar free syrups.  I also like the BSN lean dessert proteins.

I know many post-ops like the Champion Stack protein, for me it was just ok.  I also am not into fruity shakes, just haven't been able to deal with them taste wise.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Jenny_D
on 5/11/11 6:19 am - Canton, GA
Thanks so very much, everyone!

I went to Vitalady's site and ordered a butt-load of sample packs. I have 3 weeks until my surgery, so hopefully they will get here in enough time for me to try them all out.

Gracias!
Jenny         HW: 268 / SW: 254 / CW: 180 / GW: 140
First 5K: 4.21.2012 - Time: 34:45 - 2nd Place in age group
Second 5K: 6.2.2012 - Time 37:09

nate2009
on 5/11/11 6:19 am - Lebanon, OH
I use unvlavored whey isolate in diet v8 splash. Isopure is one of the best quality powders you can buy do to the added bcaa's.

If you do chocolate I recomend getting some diet swiss miss sand adding it in.

Also you can get unsweetened almond milk if you end up with a lactose issue. All whey isolated are lactose free.
    No longer about weight , it's all about living.            
Most Active
Recent Topics