Clothing Insecurities.....

psx chelly
on 5/16/11 12:46 am

Hello everyone....

I have come to the realization that I think I might need to buy a couple shirts.  I was looking at myself in the mirror before I left for work, and I think I am looking like a ragamuffin now.  Weight wise I am no where, where i want to be, but the shirts seem too big maybe.  

I was never a shopper, and resisted the mall as much as possible for many reasons, my weight was one.

I was wondering if anyone was as hesitant as me to buy transitional clothing?  I am a tom-boy and my job doesn't require me to "dress up" but I still where a pull over with a collar (like a polo shirt).

I have also discovered that my clothing has become sort-of a security blanket.... big baggy cloths, try to hide the fat and or the weight loss.

Ugh, this surgery was *way* more mental than I ever imagined.

thanks

4_them_2
on 5/16/11 12:54 am - Northern, VA
Yep I'm having the same problem. Thankfully, I have some smaller sizes that I can fit into but the pants I have on today are starting to fall off. I liked being able to hide and I realize that I won't be able to as I lose weight. I'm seeing a new topic of discussion with my therapist.

03/29/2011  --  RNY @ INOVA!!  Surgery went great. Weighed 260
 03/30/2011  --  Discharged w/ 12 pounds of fluid WTH??  Weighed 272
 04/04/2011  --  One week followup w/ PA. Weighed 259    
Melinda A.
on 5/16/11 6:10 am - Annandale, VA
Where in NVA do you live?  Have you ever been to the Unique Thrift Store on Gallows Rd down the street from Fairfax INOVA?  I love it there, they have everything (even panties if ur into the used variety ;-) -- Mondays and Thursdays (with the free VIP card, sign up for one) you get 25% off everything.  They randomly run 50% off sales, too.  I used to wear a 28 and now I wear an 8/10 -- they have clothes in all sizes.  I go at least once per week.  Check it out. (sorry to hijack, I just love that place).
Sookie77
on 5/16/11 12:56 am - Milton, NH
I buy all my clothes at thrift shops.  Yard sale season is comming up as well and I will now look there as well.  It took me a while to get out of my favorite "Big" clothes but once I started seeing myself in the smaller ones and the numbers going down it was a huge boost for my ego.  I have gone from a 24 pant to a 12 and some 10s depending on the cut.  I was a 3x shirt and I am now in a medium  I am also becoming a  shoe "*****" lol I don't mind me feet as much anymore. 

Hope this helps.  Good luck You can do this :-)

You may be only one person in the world, but to someone you are the world

Katari
on 5/16/11 1:07 am, edited 5/16/11 1:07 am - OR
Oh heck yeah! I had the same problem, in fact I waited so long that my hubby walked up behind me at home one day and tugged on my pants...They fell around my ankles! So yeah, at that point I knew I HAD to get some new pants. LOL. I hit goodwill, consignment shops etc. as I figured I wasn't gonna buy a lot of new stuff just to have to replace them again in a couple of months. At one point I had exactly 2 pairs of pants and 5 t-shirts to my name. Nothing else fit.

You'd think I'd have gotten past that point now as I've been maintaning for over 11 months now, but NOPE. Still hate to buy stuff, cause I just "know" that bounce back weight is gonna hit me eventually. (or at least that's my excuse! LOL) I have bought some "new" stuff for the occasional work party at hubby's job, etc. but other than that, I still get most of my clothing at goodwill, etc. I just make sure the stuff I buy (mostly a pair of jeans and pull over shirts etc) are in good shape and will last a while.

Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

patrickh
on 5/16/11 1:09 am - Dayton, OH
I was lucky that I could afford to buy new clothes.  If you can I'd recommend you do what you can - swap with other patients, go to yard sales or thrift stores. 

I felt great after buying new well fitting clothes.  I was proud of the weight I had loss and even if it was still a 2x at least it wasn't a 5x.  Now I have clothes that barely fit at one time that are now my baggy clothes. 

I used to hide behind loose clothes when I was fat but dont any more!

Patrick

Highest 406 / Surgery 391 / Lowest 196 / Current 219

angieh299
on 5/16/11 1:21 am, edited 5/16/11 1:22 am
I know exactly how you feel. I feel better hiding in my baggy clothes. I just purchased online a size down in tops and capris. It felt weird ordering that smaller size, will it fit? I know it will because my current size is way too big and I have to be conscious of my shirt coming down to far and accidently showing more cleavage that I'd rather! LOL...but I still can't stop thinking the clothes will be too tight.  I plan to buy just a few things in each size down so that I don't waste a bunch of money. I can wear basics since I am disabled and work from home. I hear consignement shops, good will, and garage sales are good places to find clothes through the transitons. 

OH! and now I am drying my shirts in the dryer to "shrink" them instead of hanging them for fear they would shrink! That was hard to do!!

Jennifer M.
on 5/16/11 1:29 am - NC
It was really hard for me to get rid of my 'fat' clothes. Those darn blck stretchy pants were the only thing that would fit me for so long. I idin't realize how much of a comfort item they were for me. I finally did it though and now it's not a big deal. Out with the old and in with the new! I love trying on new clothes now. Especially when I'm pleasantly suprised by being able to wear a smaller size!

I know this is a journey and you don't want to spend a ton of money on clothes that won't fit long, but you've worked too hard to stay in clothes that are so baggy that you look sloppy. You're worth it! Get you an out fit or two that will make you feel good about yourself.
Loving my new life!  I'm ever so grateful...
Visit my weight loss blog at http://homeschoolblogger.com/gettingitgone/.
Includes 76lbs weight loss before surgery.

sullysmom
on 5/16/11 1:49 am
DO IT!!!  Once you do, you will feel so good about yourself...........looking good becomes a new obsession.  Consign, thrift, yard sale, Marshalls and TJMaxx...........a good fitting pair of jeans and some nice tops, a few fun accessories and you are set......fix your hair, put on a little glam......does alot for yourself and your self esteem.  You have worked damn hard!  I got a little confused when recently I couldn't find anything in the women's world.  It was scary!  Everything was too big, no hiding now.  I don't take tags off anything now because I downsize out of it faster than I can wear it sometimes!  I never used to return stuff, now it is an "event".  Congrats on your weight loss.  Buy those shirts, it'll feel good to look good and pass on the stuff that you will never need again................
jillbhappy
on 5/16/11 3:27 am, edited 5/16/11 3:27 am - Oceanside, CA
THRIFT STORES ARE MY NEW MACYS. AS A MATTER OF FACT I WENT TO A BRIDAL SHOWER THIS WEEKEND AND TOLD MY MOM I ONLY SPENT $12 FOR MY ENTIRE OUTFIT! AND IF I DO SAY SO MYSELF SUPER CUTE!! WHITE COTTON FLIRTY SKIRT , GREEN  FLOWERED TANK AND A WHITE CROCHETTED (sp) SWEATER. SHE JUST LAUGHED AND SAID I LOOKED GREAT!~
Jill
Surgery date 2/8/10
Start weight 264

Nothing Great Was Ever Achieved Without Enthusiasm!     
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 1 replies · 7 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 255 views