Headaches STOPPED after surgery!

Angela *.
on 5/17/11 1:17 am - UT
I was SO worried about how I would treat my headaches after surgery......I even posted about it here on the board. I even hoarded my post-op Lortab so I could "save it" for future headaches.  lol  Before surgery,  I had 4-5 headaches a week and always treated them with Excedrin before they turned into massive migraines.  But to my surprise, I have not had a SINGLE headache since my surgery!  WHY??  Now I'm starting to think that all these years, it HAD to be something I was eating!  Since I've completely cut out sugar at this point, maybe it was the sugar?  I really have no other explaination.  Did any one else's headaches go away after surgery??
   *******Angela******  5'10"tall  36yrs old   SW 268 CW 180 GW 168

jenni93
on 5/17/11 1:32 am
I didn't have them as frequently as you, but maybe twice a month and I treated mine with Advil.  I too was a little worried about how it would go, post-op, but in the 5 months since my surgery, I've only had ONE headache.  YEAAAA!!!  And by the way, it was a mild one, and extra strength Tylemol kicked its butt!  I'm hoping this will continue.  Good luck to you too! 
   SW:  285   GW:  155    CW:  143          

Amy T.
on 5/17/11 1:43 am - CA

What great news!  I, too suffer from intense headaches and take prescription for migraine a few times a month.  I don't ever remember not having some sort of headache every day.

I hope I have success like yours,  I don't think I will know how to act without a daily headache!  Surgery date is 5/31!  Can't wait.

Thanks for the post!  
Amy
I am ready to be an active participant in my life rather than a spectator...  

astrong1
on 5/17/11 2:19 am - Charlotte, NC
I also had terrible headaches, I think it was the sugar. I am 2 1/2 years post op and if I indulge and have something with more than 15 grams of sugar I trigger a headache. Needless to say I don't do that very often. So glad you have had the results you have. Remember, it's not the destination, its the journey!
ASTRONG1   "WHEN THE POWER OF LOVE OUTWEIGHS THE LOVE OF POWER, PEACE WILL BE PROBABLE"      
bluek
on 5/17/11 2:55 am - Austin, TX
i have also heard that RNY resolves a significant number of headaches and migraines, and I am SO happy about this. I get terrible migraines, usually about 2 times a month since I have been going to acupuncture - before, it was almost every other day, and I was on a wicked daily preventative medication for that.
I'm almost two weeks from surgery, and no migraines! I am thinking it must be sugar or caffeine. I am so happy to be free of that, and hope it continues.
My surgeon also mentioned that some migraines are caused by belly fat, which puts pressure on a nerve that goes to the head, and surgery may help because of that. Obviously that's not what's happening for me (I have only lost 8 lbs), but it's nice to know that the improvement should continue!
princessfrogee
on 5/17/11 4:43 am - AL

Were you headaches due to high blood pressure?  You are probably drinking more water than you did pre-op as well and that makes a huge difference in the headaches. 

babybooo828
on 5/17/11 5:19 am
 At my surgeons office, he has a poster of the body and areas highlighted where the surgey helps to improve other health issues and headaches was one of them. I had migrains daily and took medication to prevent them and sometimes still got some and had to take meds to then treat them. Now, I don't need any of those medications. Since loosing a good amout of weight, I have had only a handful of migrains. I never knew being overweight could cause migrains, but it can. I always assumed the migrains came from a concussion I had from a bad car accident. Isn't it nice?

clsino
on 5/17/11 5:39 am
It's a crap shoot.  Mine are worse than ever.  Losing weight hasn't helped, in fact they are worse than before I had surgery.

I have heard some people get relief, but I know a lot that have gotten no improvement. 

Christy

happyhealing
on 5/17/11 8:36 am
I am so stoked, my headaches went away too.  In fact I use to get migraines not all the time, but from time to time, and NO MORE.  Once I had a slight headached, I took liquid tylenol and it was gone instantly, it was so crazy.  I think it went into my system immediately and my headached was gone!!  Like I said it was ever so slight, but I havent had any problems with headaches at all.  YEAH!!!  I also dont pee three times a night.  I didnt realize that bladder inconstinance (spelled wrong) goes away too.  All that weight pushing around our organs has reeked havoc and now things are going back to places they should have been in the first place.
happyhealing
on 5/17/11 8:37 am
My spelling is atrocious, sorry.  I really CAN spell headache.
Most Active