Protein and Vitamin intake

Betty Jo L.
on 6/8/11 7:22 am
 Hi everyone, question again does anyone have any suggetions on what kind of protien shakes I should try that gives the most protein? Also should I be starting to do a vitamin intake now so I will be prepared? I have an apt June 10th which is friday. I am very scared as I want this to go right. I started a Journal of what I am doing now and how I am feeling but omg. Thanks again everyone for takikng the time to read this post and responding.
gochristy1971
on 6/8/11 7:42 am - CA
There are simply too many protein shake mixes available to answer this, but you can do a search and you will find tons of previous posts on the subject.  Keep in mind that what you tolerate now, you might not after surgery, so don't drop a whole lotta money on one now that you think you will still like after.  As for vitamins, you can ask your surgeon's office what they recommend as far as what you should be taking now.  So many things are variable from one program to the other.
Christy
Weights: Surgery 317 Current 242 GW ???
Betty Jo L.
on 6/8/11 8:16 am
 Hi,

Thank you for replying back. I am so overwhelmed on all the information. I just want to get this right and have no complications when the time comes. I am just scared and worried things won't go right. Maybe because I am overwhelmed with all the information.
kaleidos
on 6/8/11 8:11 am
It is normal to be scared. At least a little bit, but the more you learn the more prepared you will feel and the less scared you will be. (Just don't read only the horror stories or you will never sleep at night!) Journaling will help a lot, and will be great to read back later on, and make sure to ask questions whenever you have them - especially from your surgical team. Every plan is different and they all seem to have different rules, guidelines, and procedures.

I will paste a previous post at the bottom of this about my protein shake trial and error, but there are lots and lots of options. Just don't bother taking more than 30 grams of protein at a time as your body will likely not absorb any more than that and you will just be wasting money.

Your doctor should do pre-op labs to see what vitamin and mineral deficiencies you might need, and that will likely dictate your vitamin regimen. Most common would probably be Vitamin D, B-12, and iron. Double check with your specific program, but a lot just have you take your normal multivitamin twice a day rather than once - and then add specific additional vitamins to adjust anything that is deficient. In general my PCP had me take Vitamin C and zinc for the two weeks surgery to try and help my immunity and hopefully prevent a simple cold from messing everything else.

"I have tried Unjury powders and like them. They are 20 grams of protein for 100 calories which is a good ratio for my planned diet. They have a starter kit which is also handy (2 packets each of chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, unflavored, and chicken broth with a shaker bottle and thermometer.) The chocolate and vanilla are about the same as other ones I tried and liked (and obviously better than the ones I didn't like) and the strawberry was tolerable (which for me was good as I do not like fake strawberry flavor). The unflavored is useful, and really has no taste that I can tell when I added it to different things (which has been true of all the unflavored I have tried so far.) But the one I liked best because it was so different was the chicken broth. I was pleasantly surprised by the flavor and think it will be a welcome break from the sweet shakes. (Though it is definitely a mix-with-warm-water and not a cold milk shake flavor.)

I liked the About Time unflavored as well - http://www.tryabouttime.com/ - and have yet to try most of the other flavors which you can order in a sample pack. It has 24 grams of protein for 101 calories which is also excellent.

Other powders with good ratios that I have found are :

IDS New-Whey Liquid Protein (100 calories/25 grams protein)
Nature's Best ISO Pure (105-110 calories/25 grams protein)
All Max Iso Flex (111-121 calories/27-28 grams protein)
Syntrax Nectar and Nectar Naturals (135 calories/34.5 grams protein)
Syntrax Nectar Sweets (135-150 calories/34.5 grams protein)
Syntrax Nectar Medical Unflavored (120 calories/30 grams protein)
4Ever Fit Fruit Blast Isolate (Depending on the Flavor) (100-150 calories/25-36)

Have only tried some of these so far, but flavor wise the Syntrax nectars are definitely my favorite. "

Weight loss includes 57.7 pounds before surgery. Not weighing until 2 weeks after surgery.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/8/11 8:43 am - OH
The New Whey liquid protein is crappy protein that your body cannot absorb because it does not have all the amino acids required.  Don;t waste your money on it.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

sunpat41
on 6/8/11 9:30 am
What about the Whey protein powder you get from Walmart 2 scoops = 52gr of protein is that ok
                        HW 250/ SW 246 CW 137

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/8/11 9:50 am - OH
As long as the first protein item in the ingredients list is some form of whey protein, you are fine.  The powders are usually whey (although some are soy or other things).  The liquid "bullets"/"shots", jello, etc. are usually collagen protein and worthless.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 6/8/11 9:55 am - OH
Absolutely.  Total crap.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

poet_kelly
on 6/8/11 9:57 am - OH
Actually, the ASMBS says that's just a myth about only absorbing 30 grams protein at a time.  We can really absorb quite a bit more.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

poet_kelly
on 6/8/11 9:55 am - OH
Look for shakes with whey or soy isolate protein powder because that's what we absorb best.

We CAN absorb more than 30 grams at a time, that is just a myth.  The ASMBS says it's a myth.

Yes, I would start some vitamins now so you get in the habit and so you're in the best possible health when you go into surgery.  I would do a multivitamin with 100% of the RDA of stuff in it, 1000-1500 mg calcium citrate, B12 and iron.  I would also get your vitamin D checked to see if you're low.  You probably are, almost every one is.  These are the basics of what you'll need after surgery, you'll just need more of them then.

Starting now will get you in the habit and have you in good shape going in, though.

I'd also start paying attention to how much protein you get now and aiming for at least 50 - 60 grams a day.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 1 replies · 9 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 255 views