Lost 51 pounds in 10 months - am i doing something wrong?

SylviaCruz
on 6/11/11 11:57 am - Edinburg, TX
I am so confused and I'm hoping someone out there may have some feedback for me.  I had Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass 10 months ago and have lost 51 pounds.  I know that alone is a great accomplishment.  I am getting concerned that my pouch has stretched or I'm doing something wrong.  I have not regained any weight but have not been able to lose anymore in 5 months.  Has anyone had a plateau for that long period of time?  I am tempted at times to give up but I've got a great husband that encourages me to get back on track.  I certainly don't want to regain the weight.  I don't have an appointment with my surgeon until the 1 year mark.  Any comments or feedback is greatly appreciated.

Ladytazz
on 6/11/11 12:07 pm
 In order to help you it would help if you told us a little more.  What do you eat every day?  Any exercise?  Water and protein?  Do you track your food?  Weigh and measure it?

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

SylviaCruz
on 6/11/11 12:13 pm - Edinburg, TX
At the beginning I did kept track of my protein and water intake.  I was working out with a trainer up until March but I had to stop because I couldn't afford to pay for a trainer anymore.  I've only been walking but even when I was working out with the trainer I didn't see weight loss.  Of course, she did tell me that possibly it was because I was gaining muscle.  I did also stop weighing my food and now I just estimate at the quantity that I'm eating.  I am only taking one protein shake per day.  Gosh you really got me thinking.  It looks like I really need to get back to the basics and weigh my food and maintain a better track of my food intake.  Also, I should get back to working out versus walking only. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/11/11 9:20 pm - OH
Yep... go back to tracking and measuring your food, because -- based on your surgery date and you weight stats -- you SHOULD still be losing (even if you are not exercising much).  Also be sure that you ahve not added too many carbs back into your diet becasue that can KILL the weight loss.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Ladytazz
on 6/11/11 12:39 pm
 Walking should be good.  What kind of foods are you eating?  If you are eating a lot of carbs, especially refined carbs, you may want to ditch those while you are in your weight loss stage.  Replace them with more protein.  Make sure you get enough protein.  Weigh your portions.  I stick with about 1/2 cup to 2/3 of a cup unless it is salad since that is filled with water and chews down to nothing.  Plan out your meals and snacks and stick with them.  Make sure you get enough water.
You can get the weight loss moving again in no time.  If you need extra help just yell and there is also a thread around here to put down what you eat to keep you accountable and also to get ideas from others to see how they do it.  Also, I use myfitnesspal.com to keep track of my food and make sure I am getting in enough protein and not too much carbs.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

redheadjean
on 6/11/11 12:47 pm, edited 6/11/11 12:48 pm - Canton, MI
I have not lost much in the last 5 months either.  I am close to my surgeon's goal - within 20 pounds and I think it gets harder to lose when you get closer.  I have had to stop peanut butter and try to control my snacking on nuts since they are so high in calories.  I didn't lose any weight from Christmas until May and since then I've only lost about 3 pounds.  I am also trying not to give up, because I don't want to stay at this weight.  I really want to lose at least 10 more pounds so I can get out of the obese category.  I also do better when I get back to tracking protein.  I also thing the further out you go, the more you forget you had surgery and start feeling like you are normal.  Then you start forgetting all the rules that we are supposed to live by.  This is a reminder to myself too!  :-)  Good luck at moving forward.
Jean  
Sasrah1972
on 6/11/11 1:25 pm - NY
I don't have any words of wisdom, but I will say that if you feel like you need to see your doctor, do it. It sounds important, even if it is just a check in, and he or she can tell you whether or not something is going on.

God luck!
cabin111
on 6/11/11 2:32 pm
Guy here...straight and to the point (well blunt if you really want it).  How are you doing with your carbs?  I thought so.  That is usually the problem...No not usually, ALWAYS THE PROBLEM!!  Take a hard look at those and talk to your nutritionist.  Also pick up the exercise if you can.  Wishing you well.  Brian
FashionGal
on 6/11/11 4:28 pm
Hi Sylvia,
I am in the same boat. I'm down 56 pounds in 8 months and for the past 2-3 months I've barely lost anything. I used to keep track of food and exercise and stopped doing it. I have an app on my phone I can do it with. I know my food intake has not been that great. I would love to be friends with you and maybe we can motivate each other to get back on track and exercise more.
Winnie_the_Pooh
on 6/11/11 10:16 pm
Start tracking your food and make an appointment with the dietitian from you surgeon's office.  My guess is too many carbs, not enough protein or water.

Winnie

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 19 replies · 81 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 246 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 300 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 260 views