Chocolate chip cookies

Anna M.
on 6/20/11 4:06 am - Manchester, NH
I am craving a cookie. Now I know I need to not give in to cravings and later on it's going to be hard to keep the weight off so I should not eat these things now bla bla bla.

Here's the thing. My dietician says everything in moderation is ok. So I want to bake some chocolate chip cookies. I plan on keeping maybe 10 at home for myself and hubby and bringing the rest to work.

I am wondering if anyone has a good low sugar recipe for cookies. I've checked the splenda website and their recipe looks ok but I actually want to try baking with truvia or stevia instead.

Has anyone tried this?

oh and flame away. I'm ready for it lol.

* Starting weight: 383 * Day of Surgery: 363 * Ticker includes weight lost pre-op *
sherylbrown
on 6/20/11 4:20 am - MN
No recipes here. I just want to say go for it. Learning moderation is a big thing for us. Unless it makes me sick I don't want any food to be totally forbidden. Let us know how they turn out.
Sheryl    
Anna M.
on 6/20/11 4:22 am - Manchester, NH
Thanks. My sister said she has used the toll house recipe but modified it to use splenda instead of regular sugar. I may try that this weekend.

* Starting weight: 383 * Day of Surgery: 363 * Ticker includes weight lost pre-op *
H.A.L.A B.
on 6/20/11 4:30 am
slippery slope IMO... 
 The cookies still have a lot of carbs.
Try eggface blog or Nik's for substitute 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 6/20/11 5:04 am - TX
I am three months out and I only tried something sweet, for the first time, yesterday - I ate a half a square of very dark chocolate. 30 calories worth.

I don't know about chocolate chip cookies so early out, it might make you ill, plus all the carbs?
H.A.L.A B.
on 6/20/11 4:29 am
not a good idea. Trust me.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Mary Catherine
on 6/20/11 4:38 am, edited 6/20/11 4:38 am
 Listen to Hala and don't bake cookies.  We can never eat chocolate chip cookies in moderation. Once you start you will crave more and more carbs.  Concentrate on losing your weight and eating high protein low carb.  It is not the sugar that is the problem. It is the flour.
Anna M.
on 6/20/11 4:47 am - Manchester, NH
I beg to differ. You've never met me so how do you know if I can eat chocolate chip cookies in moderation? Pre-surgery I was never big on sweets to begin with. I got this way from savory foods, not cookies and ice cream and pie.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/20/11 7:51 am - OH
First, the disclaimer: I am an "all things in moderation" person.  It is the only way this "works" for me.  Deprivation does NOT work for me.

Now, having said that... I 100% understand the "slippery slope" argument (and believe that it is a very valid one, especially early out).  I could never, in good conscience, tell anyone less than a year out to do anything that will test (or "develop") their "moderation skills". The new, healthy eating habits are just too important once you get to maintenance and the malabsorption is gone and you can eat a lot more.  Those habits are the only thing between us and re-gain.

So, although I agree with the others that the cookies are a bad idea, I do want to support you in knowing what foods are problematic for YOU.  We all have our unique issues. Kelly, for example, has trouble being moderate with Cheez-Its but I can easily have half a handful of them and be satisfied and I often have them in the pantry.  I, on the other hand, cannot have ANY cookies (other than RF Nilla Wafers) in the house because I have NO self control with cookies, especially chocolate chip and oatmeal raisin.  Yet I can eat 6 M&Ms and put the bag away.

Still.. perhaps you could just go to Subway or someplace and buy ONE cookie and eat half and give the other half away rather than baking a whole batch (even if you give some of them away)...?

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

sherylbrown
on 6/20/11 7:56 am, edited 6/20/11 7:56 am - MN
Great post Lora, and good advice.  We are all different and should respect each other's choices.
Sheryl