Chocolate chip cookies

Cleopatra_Nik
on 6/20/11 5:28 am - Baltimore, MD
Ok, so here is my four cents.

You are the only one who knows your weaknesses. If you can handle 10 cookies in the house and only eat one at a time, I think it IS important to learn moderation. Restriction over the long term is just not sustainable.

I think Hala said to check my site. I don't actually have a chocolate chip cookie recipe (because I determined that for ME, that would not be a great idea. When I bake cookies, I bake them fully loaded - so that I know I will dump on more than a bite or two and I give them away as fast as humanly possible). I think, however, there is a recipe on my bag of Atkins mix. I'll look this evening and copy it for you.

Hope that helps.
DisneyLover
on 6/20/11 6:41 am - WI
this is totally me.  I will take a bite of something and then give the rest away.  I know if I take more than 2 bites I will feel like crap.  I don't dump on most things, but I just feel crappy and that is enough to not want more.

Sarah

nursenaomi85
on 6/20/11 5:37 am - houston, TX

Geez one cookie is not going to kill you!! It's about learning how to live a normal life with your new lifestlye change. If you go on eggface or Nik's blog they have tons of recipes to satisfy your sweet tooth. A couple recipe call for sugar-free oreos and i remeber thinking OMG we can eat those. And just a few weeks ago I remember people posting about SF cake pops and what nots, come on guys, its like a newbie mentions something, as we are trying to learn what we can and cannot do and we get reemed a new one. If your surgeon and nut say you can have in moderation then do so. Don't look for the approval of others, I appreciate the vets and all their useful information but I know not 100% of everyone on here has been on the straight and narrow the whole time.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
HW:322   CW:180   1st goal: 150    2nd goal:125-130(im a shorty)  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/20/11 8:06 am - OH
It's because once your malabsorption ends (and you absorb ALL the calories you eat again) and your pouch can handle MUCH more food down the road, the ONLY thing that will stand between you and reagining the weight is your new, healthier eating habits.  If you do not REALLY learn these new habits NOW, you will likely continue to fight with your weight for the rest of your life.

The vets KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE how hard it can be to maintain the weigth loss and how CRITICAL it is to get thsoe new habits deeply ingrained during the first year.  Choosing to have a cookie 2 years out from surgeyr is one thing... giving in to a craving (just as we all did BEFORE surgery) when you are only a few weeks out of surgery is entirely another.

You can choose to listen to the wisdom of those of us who are much farther down the road... or you can ignore it.  None of us has EVER claimed to have been perfect with our eating... that's utterly ridiculous for you to even say... but we DO know enough to know that cookies at 6 weeks out is NOT a good idea.  If youd ecide that cookies at 6 weeks out IS a good idea, well...  good luck to you down the road. We're just trying to help, but if you choose not to accept the help, that's your right.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Anna M.
on 6/20/11 5:40 am - Manchester, NH
I am grateful and appreciative of everyone's input and their opinions.

I guess I won't know if I can only eat one cookie unless I try. I do know that I have SF fudgicles in the house and I only eat one of those maybe twice a week and only if I've gotten in all my water and all my protein.

Like I said in an earlier post, sweets are not my downfall. Savory snacks are what get me in trouble. Cheese and crackers, chips and dip, those sorts of things. I do not keep anything like that in my house anymore.

Thanks again everyone and I think I'll stay away from the cookies and make some protein ice cream with NSA chocolate chips.

* Starting weight: 383 * Day of Surgery: 363 * Ticker includes weight lost pre-op *
kaleidos
on 6/20/11 7:34 am
We are all different and have our own demons to battle. And you do not know how things will effect you. Personally I am being super-cautious until I reach maintenance. But not everyone wants to do that.

For me the deprivation logic does not work. AS IT APPLIES TO MYSELF - not trying to make a blanket statement. I can be deprived of water or protein or vitamins - but I cannot be deprived of a cookie. And if I cannot find something else in life to make me happy other than eating a cookie then there is something very wrong with my head. (Hence the counseling.)

Worked really, really hard on this over the last 9 months to get right in my head and break habits, etc. And I also journaled and if I really wanted something to eat pre-op I had it. I took a bite, stopped, and then really thought about how it tasted. Was it good? Did it even taste good? How did it make me feel physically and emotionally? Which was incredibly worth it - and will be very helpful in the future. (Note: Worst food was marshmallow Peeps at Easter and best food was homemade pierogi.)

On a hopefully more helpful note, I just ordered Sugar Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Syrup and cannot wait to try it. ;)

http://www.torani.com/products/sugar-free-chocolate-chip-cookie-dough-syrup

Working on a protein powder-sugar and free syrup combo that results in a chewy starburst like candy. So far have it down for some fruit flavors, but think it would be freakin' amazing with chocolate chip cookide dough flavor. (And no recipe yet, will be a few weeks before I hit that stage post-op.) Or maybe a fudge alternative? Hmmm....

Weight loss includes 57.7 pounds before surgery. Not weighing until 2 weeks after surgery.
TXKashmir
on 6/20/11 7:35 am - Grand Prairie, TX
Not quite chocolate chip, but might satisfy a cookie craving. I've made these before,and they are super easy (and really tasty)!

Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies

1 cup Splenda
1 cup peanut butter
1 egg

That is it!!  Mix with an electric mixer.  Roll into balls, press with a fork.  Bake at 350 for 10 minutes!!  Enjoy right out of the oven!

Debbie
Keeping track of my progress without a scale...Starting size: 28-Current size: 6-Goal size: 14

sand SAND...it's not a club...it's a frame of mind...

Anna M.
on 6/20/11 8:15 am - Manchester, NH
Wow those sound yummy! Thanks.

* Starting weight: 383 * Day of Surgery: 363 * Ticker includes weight lost pre-op *
angieh299
on 6/20/11 12:27 pm

YEP! That was the recipe my daughter and I used! We then pushed the spoon in to make an indentation to add the jelly! My daughter loved them and it is the easiest recipe!

Anna M.
on 6/20/11 8:19 am - Manchester, NH
I used eggface's site to get an ice cream recipe sort of. I didn't see a plain vanilla (but I could have missed it) so I took a little from one of her recipes and ended up with a cup of milk, 2 scoops unjury vanilla protein powder, 1 tbs sf vanilla syrup and 1 tbs sugar free choc chips.

It is currently in the freezer.

Most Active
Recent Topics