Day 1 Soft Food- Feel Out of Control/ Stomach Aches

Stephanie M.
on 6/30/11 3:31 am - Los Angeles, CA
 Hi All,
I have a few questions about the soft/pureed stage. Today was the first day I could have anything "solid" which means eggs, pudding, mashed potatoes, cottage cheese, etc (anything that could fit through a straw). For my first meal, I tried the only thing in my house: SF pudding. I had 1 and 1/2 ounces, and then about a third of a Muscle Milk drink. And now my stomach hurts. (Like a stomach ache, not like I'm super over full). My surgeon says stage 2 for me is 1-2 oz of food, 6x a day and 48 oz of protein filled drinks and liquids.

Question 1: How often do you get stomach aches? Is this a normal occurance I will need to get used to?

Question 2: I feel like if I eat everything that the list tells me to, I won't lose weight or I might stretch out my pouch. Is this just my mind being crazy after the fasting?

Also, today is the first time in three weeks I have had anything besides a liquid. (2 weeks pre-op and 1 post-op) I feel very scared. I feel worried that I'm not going to lose weight when adding in these calories and when eating solid foods. I am now questioning how this really will work for me, and I'm worried I will mess up, but at the same time I feel confused as though I don't really know what messing up is.

Question 2: Did other people experience feelings like this when foods were added back in? 

Thanks for any help. My first week was wonderful, but I guess this is my fretting week.
Steph

GastricKitty
on 6/30/11 4:08 am - VA
 I would recommend not drinking with your meal. Drink the muscle milk 30 before or after. I'm on my second week out and on purees. I can only eat 1.5 oz at a time. I accidentally drank some water once right after I ate and my stomach hurt too. It hasn't hurt as long as I don't try to eat more than 1.5 oz or drink while I eat.
Jenny_D
on 6/30/11 5:11 am - Canton, GA
I agree with GastricKitty. It is probably the drink. I too, have made that mistake and felt that pain.

Chew chew chew until the food is mush and do not drink for 30 minutes after you eat!

Good luck!
Jenny         HW: 268 / SW: 254 / CW: 180 / GW: 140
First 5K: 4.21.2012 - Time: 34:45 - 2nd Place in age group
Second 5K: 6.2.2012 - Time 37:09

lynnc99
on 6/30/11 6:05 am
Stomach aches aren't really "typical." My doc said that most issues arise when we eat too fast, eat too much, or eat somethign we are not ready for.

So go very slowly and methodically as you add those foods in, just in case something doesn't agree with you. Remember that your body is still very much in a healing mode - be gentle with it!

You will be able to eat according to your plan without gaining weight. Measure your food carefully - there may be moments that you think, "I don't feel full" - and you won't because nerves in your pouch aren't functioning yet. Eat the amount allowed for each meal or snack and stop - more advice from my doc was "If you think you can eat more....it doesn't mean you should."

Best of luck as you recover and find your way down the path!!!
Stephanie M.
on 6/30/11 6:28 am - Los Angeles, CA
 Thanks for responding! My stomach is starting to feel a little better, I guess this is just a learning process, getting to know my pouch. It's nice to have your support!
Steph

spinksy007
on 6/30/11 3:55 pm - Indianapolis, IN
FYI Steph....

I cannot drink that Muscle Milk stuff. It makes me sicker than a dog. Maybe that's part of the problem? Just a fyi.....
Most Active
Recent Topics