Question about surgery and PCOS

KarenCee
on 7/7/11 3:03 am - GA
Any ladies out there that deal with PCOS - PolyCystic Ovarian Syndrome?  Does it get better or go into remission (go away even) after surgery?  I have the worst kind of PCOS, not only the infertility (can't have any babies anyway) and weight gain but I have the hair growth on my face and arms.  I see my surgeon today for pre-op stuff and I'm going to ask him but I just thought if anyone out there has dealt with this you might have some personal insight to this. 
Teaching is the essential profession, the one that makes all professions possible.  —David Haselkorn

treehousestories
on 7/7/11 3:08 am
I had surgery three weeks ago. I have PCOS just like yours. I had not had a period on my own for about two years and had one all by myself one week after surgery. :) I don't know that this is a big deal or not, but it was a big deal for me! I hope my PCOS will reverse with more weight loss. Good luck to you! 

KarenCee
on 7/7/11 3:15 am - GA
Thanks!  I'm hoping for the same.  I would just love it if the hair would quit growing!  I've had periods but they're not normal ones.  I do understand why it's a big deal to you - when you don't have one you feel like crap, at least I did before they started coming on their own.  Then two years ago my GYN told me that I was in the perimenopausal stages. BLECH! 

Hope you're doing well with your post surgery self!! :-)
Teaching is the essential profession, the one that makes all professions possible.  —David Haselkorn

tyvette007
on 7/7/11 3:16 am

I have PCOS and I was told by my Dr. it will get worse before it will get better!!!
Usually women with PCOS will have to work harder with weightloss. I am 6 weeks out and I must say it has been difficult for me. The weightloss is slow and it is a struggle trying to stay away from CARBS. I have not cheated yet!!!  I have noticed some relief in my skin issues. I have a cycle every month so far. So my opinon, women with PCOS have to make sure they exercise because it is harder to loss the weight and keep it off.

"THE BEST IS YET TO COME"

KarenCee
on 7/7/11 3:26 am - GA
Yep I also have skin issues too.  My facial skin is not as smooth as I'd like - kinda hope that gets better.  Yeah, I wondered about the weight loss issue as well and I feel like I'll have to work harder. 

Sigh.  I can do this...

psx chelly
on 7/7/11 4:04 am

I also have PCOS.  have had it for years and years.  I had RNY at the recommendation of my GYN and PCP.  They both agreed this would be the only way for me to get to a healthy weight.  The insulin resistance I developed due to the PCOS was close to giving me diabetes and I got freaked out by that.

I have lost weight, but its slow and I stall frequently.  The symptoms have sorta slowed, but I still have to avoid bad carbs as I did pre-surgery.  I also don't eat sugar, and try my best to avoid high fructose corn syrup.  I also still take a couple supplements I took pre-surgery to help with the symptoms of PCOS, as my doctor said it wouldn't hurt.

I have read some posts here from women who claim their PCOS "went away", but my GYN insists that it will never go totally away.  My main concern was my unhealthy weight and the possibility of living the rest of my life with diabeties.  I think those things are under control now.

tyvette007
on 7/7/11 4:32 am
I agree PCOS does not go away. The symptoms just disappear once the weight start to come off. My skin has gotten better. I dont know if it is because of not eating sugar or because of the weight loss. maybe it's both!!!
                "THE BEST IS YET TO COME"

bunnicash
on 7/7/11 4:35 am - Sedalia, MO
I have PCOS and was told about RNY through my gyno... I too have not been able to have children due to PCOS. My gyno and my dr/surgeon both told me that if I have RNY then my chances of getting pregnant will sky rocket. That is why I had the surgery to begin with....My dr.'s wife had RNY in hopes of getting pregnant and it worked for her... I learned this after sitting there bawling my eyes out to the Dr. telling him all I wanted was to have a baby and he told me with the insulin resistance and PCOS that I wouldnt ever if I didn't lose the weight. So on a hope and a prayer we shall see if he was right!
JOoms
on 7/7/11 4:38 am
I'm still dealing with the PCOS after some significant weight loss.  I'm doing fertility treatments but I do now ovulate and have regular periods.  There are no more cysts on my ovaries and they say that's great. 

I wish I could say the hair growth on my face has gone away but it is in fact worse than before surgery.  I wonder if it's all the vitamins! 
Katari
on 7/7/11 4:40 am - OR
I'm 22 months out and either all my PCOS stuff is either greatly improved or completely gone. I had no trouble at all droping the weight, in fact I think it was to easy! No stalls, no huge weight loss, but a steady loss the whole time. Hair growth on face and arms is much better, periods are like clockwork (altough the first few ones after surgery were HORRIBLE!!). Blood sugar went from 6.9 back down to normal levels. Cholesterol in normal levels. I never took another metformin after leaving the hospital.
Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

Most Active
Recent Topics