When to start hardcore workouts?

Stephanie M.
on 7/8/11 3:39 am - Los Angeles, CA
 Hi all,
So I am exactly 2 weeks out from surgery now. Since surgery, I walk for at least 1/2 a hour, sometimes an hour. I met with my surgeon last week and he said not to lift anything more than 10 pounds this past week. So I'm wondering, when should I start serious cardio and weight lifting? 
Steph

Bkritty
on 7/8/11 3:50 am
Hi Steph,

I was wondering the same thing. I have my two week appointment on Tuesday and I am pretty sure she said we could start working out after that barring any problems. I am really anxious to get going too! I want to try a lot of new things and find some things I really will enjoy instead of living on a treadmill. Its a new chapter in my life and I want to explore all of the options I will have with this new body! Good luck to you!

Kristie

So Blessed!
on 7/8/11 3:53 am

Only after you are completely healed and your surgeon has given you clearance to do so should you start strenuous workouts.  Otherwise, you could do yourself harm.  If I were you, I'd stick with walking for now.

cupcake81
on 7/8/11 4:03 am - CA
My surgeon cleared me for strength training at my 3 month check up...u have to make sure everything has healed properly. I stuck to cardio in the beginning,plus while we are losing we don't wanna work on building muscle just toning ; so that means low weights and high reps...good luck!

Bettisima
on 7/8/11 4:29 am
Ask your surgeon, just like eating plans, they all seem to have their own different plans.

From my surgeon... walking from day 1 (pretty much standard), water activities at 3 weeks. (that can vary by surgeon) Full release to any activities, at 6 weeks. As stated above, some are delayed more. It's about healing your body, and ensuring that you can get the nutrients you need, before you start straining your body.

lynnc99
on 7/8/11 5:00 am
I was cleared for water aerobics at 3 weeks, but not until 6 weeks for any resistance training or high impact activities.

Stick with walking for now - it's doing more good than  you could ever dream and you are getting in a great workout by being so faithful at it!
jspedding
on 7/8/11 5:16 am - PA
I was cleared for everything after 3 weeks. I started doing Zumba right about then. I started doing strength training a couple weeks after that.
fran_pa
on 7/8/11 6:20 am - PA
I started working out, weight circuit and treadmill, at exactly one month.  The gym (which was a surgical center deal) wouldn't let me start until the one month point.  And I was given clearance to start abdominals at 6 weeks.  I'm 2 months out and started running (C25K program) M-W-F, and walking and weight curcuit T,Th,Sat.

DoinItRightN2011
on 7/8/11 6:21 am - CA
Hi everyone, I just left my doctors office and she said it's ok for me to start back at the gym. Not weights, but bicycle, treadmill etc... I am super stocked. I want to jump out of my skin because this walking thing is okay, but I feel I need a little more intensity. And, yes, I will be extra careful. My body is completely craving the gym because before surgery on 6/29 I wa****ting the gym hard that's how I lost a lot of weight pre-op. Good luck everyone.

Trina

HW/358 S/W 311 CW/301 GW/160

Stephanie M.
on 7/8/11 7:39 am - Los Angeles, CA
 Thank you for the help! I was thinking that I would be able to start right back up with serious exercise, so that is very helpful. I don't meet with my surgeon for another month or so, so I'll stick to walking for then. 
Thanks!!
Steph 

Most Active
Recent Topics