Scared of food?

bittybabynurse
on 7/12/11 2:53 am - MN

I feel like this is a silly question, but is anyone else scared of food? Scared of trying different foods anyway? I'm almost a week into my pureed stage and to be honest its not going that well. I know I'm early on and my body will get better at tolerating things as time goes on.

A few days ago I tried mac and cheese (on my NUT's okay list for this stage) with tuna and it didn't go too well. After about 3-4 bites I started feeling icky so I stopped eating it and just finished with the tuna. I left for work about an hour after that and was really nauseous the rest of the evening. (I work 3-11pm) It was so bad I was going to try to go home, but we got a new baby on the unit who was really sick and needed 2 nurses so we were too short staffed for me to go home. I managed to muddle through but I was so nauseated I could hardly drink water. I think I ended up only drinking about 30oz of water that day. I ended up calling in sick the next day because I was still nauseated. It was over 24 hours until I could eat again. Of course, because I got so horribly dehydrated I'm now fighting a UTI, so I still feel pretty miserable. Part of me wonders why I was so excited about being able to eat food. The protein shakes at least are "safe"!

This whole thing has me skittish about adding in new foods. I just don't want to ever feel that horrible again... 

Thanks for letting me whine!

Highest  272 Consult 265 Goal 165 Current 158    

Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker]
Jenny_D
on 7/12/11 2:59 am, edited 7/12/11 3:00 am - Canton, GA
I'm a glutton for punishment. I have eaten foods that I don't tolerate well, but I keep trying them, figuring eventually I'll be OK.

I don't do so well with chicken and last night I ate a few bites of chicken that I had stir-fried (no oil) in a low-sodium, low-carb, no sugar, stir fry sauce, with a little bit of rice. I was sick the rest of the night. I even threw up...twice.

So I feel your pain. Food is scary right now. That's why they say we should never try new things when we are out.
Jenny         HW: 268 / SW: 254 / CW: 180 / GW: 140
First 5K: 4.21.2012 - Time: 34:45 - 2nd Place in age group
Second 5K: 6.2.2012 - Time 37:09

poet_kelly
on 7/12/11 3:06 am - OH
I'm really surprised your nut recommended eating pasta so early out.  Pasta still bothers me a little and I'm more than two years out.  Besides, so early out, you need to be focusing on protein, not starchy carbs.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Tonya0531
on 7/12/11 3:08 am - Lake, MS
Almost 3 months out, I still worry about everything that I put in my mouth.  I absolutely hate meal time and don't see that changing anytime soon.  Maybe that is a good thing.  I'm afraid that once I start to feel comfortable...if I ever do...that I will gain. Maybe being scared is a good thing??
Tonya
HW: 274  PreOp Diet: 271  Surgery: APRIL 25, 2011   
LilySlim - (6Jve)
I love my new life!!!
Kim S.
on 7/12/11 3:12 am - Helena, AL
Completely normal!  You need to keep trying new things to know what you can eat....and even if you can't eat it now doesn't mean in a month or two you still can't.

Try to stick to the basics in protein world....eggs, fish, dark meat chicken, beans, cheese, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, etc and make sure you chew well.

It is very normal to feel this way at this stage, and I promise it wont last!  Some days I wish I was still scared of food!

Hang in there, we are here if you need us.

shellbell75
on 7/12/11 3:44 am
I am only 2 weeks out, but talked to my NUT about this yesterday. I too am afraid of food. I find the protein shakes easier. Realistically we can't stay on them forever. She said it was normal and it will be trial and error as to what our pouches can handle. As always focus on protein first.
**SHELLY**   HW: 316   SW: 256   GW: 125  CW: 118       

KatCooper
on 7/12/11 4:35 am - Collierville, TN
 I am about 2 weeks out and worrying about food.  I am still pureeing everything.  I drank protien shakes all the time before breakfast, but now they taste terrible.  I have some new unflavored protien powder coming that I hope helps.   I tried an soft scrambled egg 2 days ago which i mushed up with a fork, and chewed it up and it still came back up.   I really hate to vomit.   It has really put me off trying new foods.   Its a bit depressing, but I know it will pass.   Our support group meets  next week and I follow up tomorrow with my Dr. again.   
But bottom line, you are not alone!!
Kat

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

(deactivated member)
on 7/12/11 5:19 am
OMG!! I am two weeks out and made the mistake of taking a nibble of my husband chicken ( baked breast). I was in pain for an hour. I am terrified to try things and went back to broth and smoothies today.

Angela
inocntdevil19
on 7/12/11 5:21 am - sylvania , OH
I too am surprised about the mac and cheese. Pasta is on my DO NOT EAT list from my doctors right now. and will be for a while about 6 months or so.  I also know my sister is 5 years out and she still has a hard time with pasta.

on to the other subject food is VERY scary for me.  I am just over a month out and have thrown up at least 15 different times.  I had a horrible time with scrambled eggs but just did great with a few teaspoons of egg salad thi weekend I was so shocked and excited.  I did NOT eat it on bread though i just at it as is.  I also did great with a lean ham lunchable which surprised me since i have troubles with meat at times but a thin slice of meat on a cracker went down so easily I was schocked. 
PTM
on 7/12/11 5:40 am
I know what you mean about being scared. My mantra is "fear is a great motivator." I'm super careful about anything new I try because of the risk of extreme nausea or something getting stuck.
Margaret   HW: 342    SW: 320    CW:  228    GW:  175    3          
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 473 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 540 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 523 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 201 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 411 views