Numbness

azambesi
on 7/19/11 10:48 pm - Milton, FL
Over the last week or so I have noticed numbness in my lower legs. It is now moving up close to my knees. It's not completely dead, just like the feeling that you get when your leg starts to go to sleep... but it never wakes up or goes away.

I know that B12 causes numbness, but I am currently getting shots 1x a month. I started taking 1000mcg sublingual daily just in case that's the problem. (Figured it can't hurt short term.)

I'm set up to have labs drawn on 8/1 and will see my surgeon on 8/8 for a lab review. I have not had any drawn since surgery.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Any other deficiencies that could cause numbness? 

Thank you!
Aletheia

jazzycatz
on 7/19/11 11:56 pm - Joppa, MD
http://www.neuropathy.org/site/PageServer?pagename=About_Neu ropathyTypes

If you want to go here you can follow the link on the right side to "G.I and Nutrition-Related Neuropathies" it will take you to an article that covers all of them.  Further into it focuses specifically on ones more common to bariatric surgery patients. 

It can be b12 or b1 (thaimine). 

azambesi
on 7/19/11 11:57 pm - Milton, FL
Thanks! This is really helpful :)
jazzycatz
on 7/20/11 12:04 am - Joppa, MD
No problem!  I have the same experience and they are sending me to see a neurologist on the 1st of August.  I am glad to see that you are having testing because from what I have read there is a chance the numbness could be permanant.  Treatment will stop it from getting worse but it might not get better.   So no waiting around. 

I went ahead and increased my B12 and started a B1 and a B complex.  I didn't want to skew lab results but I didn't want to wait either, you know? 
Kim H.
on 7/19/11 11:59 pm - VA
RNY on 07/11/11 with
If it were me or anyone I love I would call the doctor TODAY to get a follow-up ASAP. Don't wait. Call today!

I am my own hero...I save myself one day, one meal, one bite, one choice, one challenge, one step at a time...
poet_kelly
on 7/20/11 12:11 am - OH
With B12 deficiency, the numbness is usually in hands and feet and I don't think it normally travels up your legs like that.  Taking the sublingual daily just in case is a good idea, though.  And it's good you're getting labs done soon.  If your B12 is below 400, it can be causing numbness.  Make sure you get a copy of the lab report so you can see all the numbers yourself.

I wonder if it could be a pinched nerve in your back or something?  Since it seems like it's getting worse, I think it's time to go see a doctor about it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/20/11 12:28 am
Initially I was on B12 sunliguals, but they really did not do much for me. Then I switched to injections. Once a month... still did not feel right... now I am getting B12 weekly. With weekly dosages - my B12 is 800 ( a week afer injection) Some of us either use a lot B12 or have a hard time storing it.
I also take b-complex 100 and B1.  Nerve damage is nothing to joke about.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 7/20/11 1:20 am - North Brookfield, MA
I became severly deficient in the B vites and Iron and my whole right side went numb.  After shots and IV iron infusions it went away. But had I waited to long, it would have been permanent... call your dr. please.
TanyaF
on 7/20/11 1:29 am
Im one of the stupid one's and waited so my nerve damage is permanent.  Yeah me!!  Also someone mentioned that it is mostly hands and feet...well mine is all the way up to my knees/elbows.  Sometimes even with shots 1x a month it just doesnt cut it.  You may need to up it.  I always have to adjust my supplements because my levels change.  Ive been on daily, weekly, monthly.  I would call and tell your Dr. that you are having issues and get labs done sooner then later.  Also taking the sub.  daily is a good idea.
azambesi
on 7/20/11 9:05 am - Milton, FL
Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm going to call the doc in the morning to see if I can get the labs done early.