Curious if anyone else has "staircase" style weight loss

Jenny_D
on 7/28/11 3:59 am - Canton, GA
I am two months out and 33 pounds down, but my weight has been coming off in spurts.

I lost 14 pounds right off the bat out of surgery, then I went 10 days with nothing. Since then it's been averaging a half pound per day for a few days, then 4-5 days with nothing. Then 1-2 pounds over the next few days, then 4-5 days with nothing, rinse and repeat.

Overall, the scale is moving, slow and steady, but I just wonder why it comes off in this fashion. 
 ___
        \___
                \___
                        \

It's a frustrating way to experience this, and please spare me the "don't get on the scale every day" speeches. I KNOW! I just can't stop myself. 

I'm curious to see how common this pattern of weight loss is amongst other RNY folks. Anyone else stair-stepping their way down?
Jenny         HW: 268 / SW: 254 / CW: 180 / GW: 140
First 5K: 4.21.2012 - Time: 34:45 - 2nd Place in age group
Second 5K: 6.2.2012 - Time 37:09

Holly O.
on 7/28/11 4:04 am - FL
Hi!!  I am 5 weeks out on Friday  and I am down 32 lbs. my weight loss is a lot like yours!!  I think this is normal!!  You are farther out then me but the pattern is similar!!  Hang in there, at least it is going down!! 
   Holly                                      
poet_kelly
on 7/28/11 4:04 am - OH
Doesn't every body lose like that?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Jenny_D
on 7/28/11 4:27 am - Canton, GA
Not everybody. My nephew had RNY and he lost consistently for the first 6 months before having his first plateau.  My brother in law had it as well and aside from one early stall, lost a few pounds every week consistently.

poet_kelly
on 7/28/11 4:36 am - OH
Yeah, but she's talking about how much she loses in just a few days.  I lost consistently the first six months too but I did not lose the same amount every week or the same amount every single day. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Jenny_D
on 7/28/11 4:52 am - Canton, GA
"She" is me, and no, I am not talking about how much I lose in just a few days. I am talking about the overall pattern of weight loss. 

And If you had lost the same amount every week or "every single day", that would have been pretty freaky. 

waitinggame
on 7/28/11 4:39 am - Bowie, MD
Jenny, notice your examples were men. Just something different about them creatures!! :)

Check out my blog--menumealplanning.com. Tales of making meal planning managable, family fodder, and everything else under the sun. 

RNY 2/3/09, LBL/BL w/Augmentation 9/16/11
Start weight: 335 Current weight: 185 Goal weight: Whatever the hell I can maintain without driving myself insane

ButterflyCenturyCard-5.gif picture by barbccrn

*6.5 lost preop

Jenny_D
on 7/28/11 4:55 am - Canton, GA
Oh, I know. I wasn't comparing myself to them, I was just answering the "Doesn't everybody lose that way?" comment with two examples of people who don't. ;)

ShrinkingJoe
on 7/28/11 4:05 am
Jenny:

Congratuations on your weight loss!  15 lbs per month is great - that is a rate of 150 lbs in just a year.  My weight loss went (and is still going) in stair-steps just like yours.  Your pattern seems very normal.  You will probably note (as I have) that the stair steps will get smaller as you go, which is good (you don't want to lose too much).

Good luck!

-Joe
(deactivated member)
on 7/28/11 4:05 am - Boston, MA
 That is my pattern exactly... !! I have to weigh every day, can't stand not knowing!!! 
Most Active
Recent Topics