Sleep study??

Kristina41
on 8/1/11 7:51 am
RNY on 06/26/12
I have my sleep study scheduled tomorrow night. I'm not sure what to expect. I know somehow I get hooked up to electrodes/sensors of some sort. I'm worried I won't be able to go to sleep. I have this picture in my head of them coming in at first light and there I am, sitting there red-eyed from lack of sleep. And what's worse is that I can't have coffee because I have to fast for labs and other tests Wed morning. So I'm just wondering if others have done this and how it went??

JerseyJim
on 8/1/11 7:58 am - Sayre, PA
I slept like a baby, but I can sleep anywhere in any position, even sitting straight up.  My wife would never tolerate a sleep study because she is a very light sleeper.  They stick (as in glue) like 25 electrodes to your head, face, arms, and legs, and then hook them all up to a box that is in bed with you and that you have to carry should you need to take a potty break in the middle of the night.  It's very hard to turn from side to side with all the wires, so I just slept on my back all night. If you have trouble falling asleep, they do offer sleep aids, so just ask for one.  I took a couple of Benadryl just before their idea of bedtime (which for them is 10pm and for me 2am) since it differed from mine.  That did the trick for me. Good luck.

HW: 418 SW: 386 CW: 225 GW: 210

Peppermintstick.
on 8/1/11 8:03 am - CT
I just went for mine on the 26th of July and I DID NOT LIKE IT....I was in very uncomfortable bed and my back is sore to begin with so that did not help.  I just could not get comfortable at all.  I managed to get some sleep but not much.  The nurse said my oxygen went down to 77% I will have to go back unfortunately...but I haven't got my full results back as of yet...I had a nice nurse though Don't worry I couldn't have coffee either.
You do get hooked up with a bunch of wires and they even put them on your head..so don't be alarmed when she takes them off your head you'll have some goopy stuff in your hair...it comes out with shampoo....

Good Luck.....
Peppermintstick
Sasrah1972
on 8/1/11 8:10 am - NY
I wish you good luck. I was not prepared and I will honestly say it was about the worst night ever of my life. I was not prepared to be hooked up to so many wires, the staff did not speak English well, and I didn't sleep a wink. It was far worse than my surgery. I "failed" because I didn't sleep enough and then I had to go back for a second round. At least then I slept 2 hours. I was diagnosed with mild OSA and wore a CPAP through my surgery. I have fully recovered from the trauma.... and it was worth it. Had my surgery 10 weeks ago and have lost 50lbs!
Kristina41
on 8/1/11 9:06 am
RNY on 06/26/12
Thanks for the replies.....that's kind of what I was afraid of. I am a VERY light sleeper and I just know that I'm going to have a hard time sleeping. I didn't know that I could request something to help me sleep....maybe that will help. And here is something really dumb that I'm worrying about also - I only have night gowns, no pajama pants and T shirts, which is what they say to wear. I can't sleep with pants, drives me crazy. So, hopefully the wires are long enough to go under the nightgown. Sorry if that's TMI....
Well, I guess it's just something to get over with. One step in the process....
Kristina

sccuddlers
on 8/1/11 9:36 am - Fort Mill, SC
RNY on 01/16/12
 I have my sleep test on Wednesday, but it is a home test.  Has anyone else got to do their test at home?
~Kimberly  visit me at learn.love.live.

The 3 C's of life: choices, chances and changes ~
You must make a choice to take a chance or your life will never change.

littlewitch1973
on 8/1/11 9:55 am - NY
 I had a sleep study done a couple of months ago.. I didnt sleep much, and although I dont have to go back in, I do have mild sleep apnea, and have to use a CPAP until after surgery. If you dont like wearing pants to bed, wear a loose pair of shorts - thats what I did. 

The beds are uncomfortable, but if you bring your own pillow, it helps IMMENSELY! One of the women I work with told me to bring mine, and I'm glad I did. I believe you pretty much control when you go to bed and when you get up... at least, I did. I didnt sleep well, and was exhausted the next day. But, its only one night of your life - if you need some help sleeping, ask your doctor for a script for something... if they wont give you anything, try Tylonol PM - it works for me when I cant go to sleep. 

gabbyabby
on 8/1/11 10:45 am
 Sounds like I am the exception here, but I had a sleep number bed.  It was very comfortable.  I slept like a baby once they let me change from my back to my side.  :P
Rebecca H.
on 8/1/11 1:30 pm
My room looked like a bedroom with a sleep number bed. TV, wifi. The hooked me up with all the wires about 8pm. I had a couple of hours to get use to them. Went to be at 10pm. Once I found the right firmness of the bed that I needed, I slept good. Then they woke me up and to hook me up to the cpap machine. OMG, that was the best sleep I had had in such a long time. They had trouble waking me up !! Good luck. Everyone has a different experience.

Kristina41
on 8/1/11 8:20 pm
RNY on 06/26/12
Maybe I'll be like you and be lucky! Here's to hoping......They said I can't check in until 8:45 p.m., but I normally go to sleep around 10 so it will give me a little time to get used to it.....I'm driving there this afternoon and hanging out with friends for a little while before.
Thanks everyone for the information!

Most Active
Recent Topics