birth control pill

pouch_potato
on 8/3/11 2:57 am - PA
Ladies,

Does increased fertility from weight loss + malabsorption from RNY make the birth control pill less effective?  If so, what is the alternative BC method that you prefer and trust? I've been on Yasmin for years and I must admit, the idea of using a device instead of taking a pill scares me (but the thought of getting pregnant scares me even more!).

Thanks,
Rachel
LilySlim Weight loss tickers Notes:
Pholaris
on 8/3/11 3:00 am
Yes the BC Pill is not as efficient, which is why the recommend using a mechanical form of birth control after WLS.

I use Nuvaring- love it so far.
Pregnancy%20ticker
bittybabynurse
on 8/3/11 3:07 am - MN
A coworker of mine who had RNY last December found that out the hard way. She's 6 mos out, lost 100lbs and got pregnant. I have a call into my doc about getting the Nuvaring. I'm thinking we might have a baby in a year to two years so I don't want to go with Mirena. If I didn't think we might have another baby I'd go with that. I had it after DD was born and loved it.
Highest  272 Consult 265 Goal 165 Current 158    

Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker]
(deactivated member)
on 8/3/11 3:23 am - RI
OH WOW... I didn't know this...

Good topic!!!

HappyMango
on 8/3/11 3:32 am - FL
My OBGYN and I decided to stay with the Depo-Provera shot...although I know that's not always good for everyone. 

~Maryann
Diana C.
on 8/3/11 4:54 am - Austin, TX
RNY on 06/28/11 with
I was reading another post and stumbled across this same thing....I immediately made a call to my OB-GYN.  Yep!  She says they are less efficient.  And she's gonna give me a call back as to what to do next. (I had an IUD in earlier but got misplaced in there )

sonnieN
on 8/3/11 6:57 am - grand rapids, MI
I use the Nuva-Ring and haven't had any problems w/  it. Had been on the pill initially and didn't seem to have any issues w/ it but after a year or so I was having a full period in the middle of the pack. My Dr. wasn't sure if it was that I wasn't absorbing the pill completely or that I needed a stronger one. We just decided to not take any chances and switched to the ring at that time. Glad I did cuz it's nice not having to take another pill in the morning.
pouch_potato
on 8/3/11 8:01 am - PA
Did the NuvaRing or Depo interfere at all with your weight loss? I read that a potential side effect is weight gain. Also, do either of these help with acne? Yasmin is the only thing that finally cleared my skin.
LilySlim Weight loss tickers Notes:
JENNI-8yrsPostOP
on 8/3/11 9:28 am
My doc recommends "at least 2 forms of birth control" for the first 2 yrs post op. He says birth control pills are effective one day and ineffective the next. You have to have your levels tested regularly to make sure they're being absorbed - in the mean time use something else that's effective. Check with your OB/GYN and make sure they're aware of your malabsorbtion issues being a wls patient.
Jen
Most Active
Recent Topics