Suggestions for Bounce-back weight

Mara C.
on 8/5/11 6:05 am - Millbury, MA
Hi Ladies & Gents,

Just hoping to hear from some of you that have experienced bounce-back weight.  I am just under 2 yrs post op.  I had maintained my weight for over a year at 155lbs.  I was very happy at that weight and saw the scales move a lb or two above and below that at different times, but basically around there.  So, all of a sudden in the past month or two, I have seen a gain of 6 lbs!  Is this the dreaded "bounce-back weight"? 

Well, I have had some struggles with eating more carbs in the evening I hate to admit...  but today looking back at my calendars in fitday.com, looking at what I ate last years (during different times and months).  I see that even with a slight increase in carbs, my calories have and are about the same 1200-1600 a day, which is what my NUT told me to hang around (even with the carb snacking).

So, I am working on the evening carb thing, I ALWAYS get over 100 protein a day, and ALWAYS at very least 69 fl oz of water a day.  I have started exercising in the last month from basically doing nothing to now taking a kickboxing class on Tues and a yogalates class on Thurs.  With a 4 yr old, I can't be away from home in the evenings realistically more than that and have never been a huge athletic type.  But.... any other suggestions?  Or should I just keep doing what I am doing and if the 6 lbs doesn't go away, accept that this is my bounce back?  My body wants to be there?Or, can I do more?

I appreciate any words of wisdom you have!  Thank you all in advance...
              LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat      RNY Maintenance

"Create your day"
Cleopatra_Nik
on 8/5/11 6:11 am - Baltimore, MD
Mara!

How ya doin????

So yeah the bounce. I bounced. HARD. My bounce came while I was still carbphobic and gym addicted so I'm not sure it's anything I did wrong, per se. My surgeon said this is where my body wants to be. I resent that some days but most of the time now I am ok with it. The bounce seems to have happened all in my T&A. I can't be but so mad at that.

I would say that keeping an eye on eating and exercise habits is always a good idea. But your body might just gravitate toward its natural weight (or set point as I've learned some call it). So if that's the case, you need to work on self acceptance and staying healthy even if you don't weigh your low weight.

So basically, check to make sure you are still on track. If not, get back on track. And work on loving the fabulosity that is you. Having conversed with you on and off OH I know you are in fact fabulous.

I hope that helps.

Nik

P.S. Also helpful might be the fact that once I bounced I maintained. I've been the same weight for the past 18 mos. give or take about 3 lbs at various times of the month.

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

Mara C.
on 8/5/11 6:28 am - Millbury, MA
Nik,  You are so sweet!! I think you are super fabulous too!!!

BTW - I just got finished reading your post about the "kinda" BF that wants you to settle down.  I don't know your exact situations, but my two cents is if your gut is leaning towards getting to know YOU more, more so then committing to him...you NEED to listen.  Never settle, or do something uncomfy to satisfy someone else.... off my soap box now! LOL

And yea, I was afraid that this is bounce back... my surgeon told me to expect it (10 lbs he said).  UGH!  I will take your advice and keep an eye on things though and keep doing what I know to be the healthiest for me - and work on acceptance.  I appreciate your advice!!  Thank you!!!
              LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat      RNY Maintenance

"Create your day"
Dave Chambers
on 8/5/11 7:43 am - Mira Loma, CA
"Water-loading" before your major meals will likely make you less hungry, so you'll be satiated with smaller portions.  Water loading is when you drink as much water as you comforably can around 30 minutes prior to the major meal.  Bounce back wt is not uncommon, as most post ops "bottom out" and may end up too thin or have a gaunt appearance. That happened to me.  I put back on some wt and looked and felt better.  But at 5 years post op, my exercise routine was not daily. I got a new bike last month, and ride it 4-5 miles daily.  I had a pacemaker check up a month ago, and I was down some 10 pounds than 6 months previously.  I've continued to bike, and have lost another 4-5 pounds.  The 6 pounds may decrease with more exercise, or this may be your new stable wt.  Not every post op lives forever at their lowest wt. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

hazmat11
on 8/6/11 6:53 am
I am 20 pounds up from my lowest weight. I felt my lowest was too low for me and started eating more and it backfired. I have to get control now or I am in trouble. Do not let it get control. Watch every bite and be careful. Lots of people regain all their weight. You have to be careful and stay with the rules. I didn't and I am sorry.
Susie

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 62 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 294 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 300 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 339 views