Measuring

Stephanie M.
on 8/9/11 6:06 am - Los Angeles, CA
On Friday, I will be seven weeks out. I have done wonderfully so far, and have lost 36 pounds. Back when I lived at home, I was in a great routine. I measured my food at every meal, and ate about 3 oz. or a little less than 1/2 a cup whenever I eat (I'm suppose to eat between 1/4 c and 1/2). I had a kitchen and I cooked my own meals and knew how much sodium and everything I was eating at all times. 

Now, being back at college, I am in an environment where I do not have a stove, and we are kind of in a position where the only option is to eat out. I am stocked with string cheese, oatmeal, pudding, and nectar in my room, but all I can use is a microwave so I am limited on cooking abilities. So, when I go out, I eat protein filled foods, try to measure out 1/2 a cup with my eyes (I'm too embarrassed to take a measuring cup into the restaurant. I want to appear somewhat normal) and only eat that portion of food, and I very rarely eat carbs. Since I have been eating out and living this way, I have still been losing weight.

So now that I have probably over explained, I was wondering if anyone had been in any sort of situation like this? 

And also, is it risky for me to not be measuring at this point? I feel like I am still so early out, and I want to do this whole process to the best of my ability. 

Thanks for any responses!
Steph

Dale W.
on 8/9/11 6:21 am - Canonsburg, PA
I can't speak as to how good it is to be "eyeballing" your measurements as opposed to being accurate about them, but wanted to throw out something from my nutritionist.  When meeting with him one of the things he gave me in the packets of information was a guide for how to eyeball your food measurements.  It has a bunch of the different measurements we may be faced with and all sorts of common every day items we may see that we can relate the food size to.  I am only 3 weeks out as of tomorrow and I have bowls I use that I know are the proverbial right amount when it's just covering the bottom. 

So, to sum up, I don't think you're guessing as much at your food quantity as you think you are.  You've measured your food out before and you know what that looks like.  So it's my opinion that you're doing just fine.  I am sure others might have some different thoughts but I think my approach is okay based only on my own observations. 

Jacbio
on 8/9/11 9:26 am, edited 8/9/11 9:27 am
RNY on 07/27/11 with
Great job.. Stop feeling awkward.... You are doing everything for yourself to become a beautiful young woman inside and out.... And its nice to see sucess stories instead of all negative. Great job Dale...

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 4 replies · 31 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 258 views