Stopping Smoking

NicoleO
on 8/10/11 4:46 am - NJ
Hi everyone! 
I'm new here and in the mid-early stages of getting my surgery approved.  My surgeon thinks end of November. 

I am/have been a smoker for 24 years and I am having a hard time quitting.  I've quit using Chantix before - my question is this-- Has anyone used chantix within 2-3 months of surgery.  I've quit at least 6 times in the last 3 months.  I feel like a jerk - like I have no control.... its a hard habit to break.  Any tips/help on what others may have done...
Thanks!
Nicole

sunpat41
on 8/10/11 4:52 am
Hi Nicole, I though that when I first started I would have to quit for at least 3 months, so knowing this and wanting to have the surgery, I used chantix, I tapered up was on it for about 3 weeks or so and tapered down, quit last Aug, it was easier for me because I knew I needed to quit for the surgery or my pulmologist wouldn't clear me. Keep trying and good luck

Patty
                        HW 250/ SW 246 CW 137

jenysez1
on 8/10/11 4:55 am - LA
I loved sugar free gum and jolly ranchers.  Avoid stress.  I had to do the same thing and pretty much did the same thing as you, I would take a puff here or there.  Which I could really do without going back full time, but my doctor blood tests.  It is hard as hell, good Luck.  I had a friend that did chantix but I just quit, so no advice there

Jenny

Gina1013
on 8/10/11 5:00 am - Canton, OH
 Hi Nicole..I am on my 3rd week of not smoking. It IS hard! I had issues with Chantix so I used the patches, But I started on step 2 (14mg) and afer a week I quit using them altogether. I DID however eat sugar free suckers like it was my JOB! I still use the suckers when I am in the car, because I usually smoked there. 

For me, just getting my head in the right place helps. I just keep thinking that I want to have the surgery to get healthy and I am not going to give in to an urge that will pass in a few minutes. I keep telling myself that I am stronger than the cigarette! 
You have to BELIEVE that you can do it, because YOU CAN!!!

Weight at consult 7/14/11:  413

shellbell75
on 8/10/11 5:06 am
I was a smoker for 22 years. I quit so I could have the surgery. I used the patch and after 2 weeks didn't need it at all. I have been smoke free since mother's day. I have no desire to smoke. I tried quitting like 3 times before I really quit. I honestly didn't want to quit but knew it was for the best. Good Luck. You got this!
**SHELLY**   HW: 316   SW: 256   GW: 125  CW: 118       

Dave Chambers
on 8/10/11 5:09 am - Mira Loma, CA
Try to avoid "triggers" that cause the urge to smoke, like clubs, bars, hanging out with certain friends, ect.  There are other meds to help you stop smoking these days. And surgeons DO TEST for nicotine. I know two post ops who had their surgeries cancelled for nicotine--one smoked cigarettes and the other chewed tobacco.  I stopped smoking in 1991. There were no meds to help at that time, only "cold turkey".  I heard about another method and saw an ad in the local newspaper. It was for hypnosis.  Nothing else had worked, so I signed up.  A $35 fee and a 30 minute group session with about 30 other people, and I've never smoked since.  A separate buffet room at a local restuarant had all tables moved to the side. Everyone came in, paid their fees, took off their shoes, and laid down on the carpet floor with the pillow we were instructed to bring with us.  As long as you have a real deep desire to stop smoking and you are susceptible to hynotic suggestions, this should work for you.  Dave

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

momsal
on 8/10/11 7:39 am - PA
I quit 2 1/2 yrs ago using chantix  i was a heavy ( 2-3 pk a day)  smoker for 35 yrs.    The first time i quit using chantix  i only used it for a month or so   I quit for a couple of months then started again   this time I used it for around 6 months   then I tapered myself off of it     I wanted to make sure the habit was gone not just the addiction    it worked for me.   Good Luck  you can do it
NicoleO
on 8/10/11 3:00 pm - NJ
Thanks everyone!  I'm going to have my PCP call in an RX for Chantix tomorrow- I'm so scared about anything going wrong on the table - my head is just still up my butt!
Most Active
Recent Topics