Overeating on the sliders...struggling to change.

Kim H.
on 8/20/11 9:30 am - VA
RNY on 07/11/11 with
I'm really struggling with my old behavior of overeating. I find it easy to stick to the more solid foods but the slippery stuff...of boy...I have to be really careful. I can eat loads of cottage cheese, cheese in general, soft cooked meats/fish. My new slogan, "they bypassed my stomach, not my brain." It's really a challenge to follow my plan. I have thrown away a lot of food once I realized it was a trigger for old behavior but, I just wi**** was easier. *sigh* I guess every day, maybe every hour, is a new chance but it's harder than I expected to really "walk the walk" and not turn to food for comfort, pleasure, stress relief, whatever. Just putting it out there to be honest with myself and the world. I'm changing little by little but it's not easy...I just hope it will get easier with time, practice, and perseverance. :)

I am my own hero...I save myself one day, one meal, one bite, one choice, one challenge, one step at a time...
Nancy B.
on 8/20/11 9:37 am
Hi Kim,
Seeing that you are realizing your old habits are creeping back in I would STONGLY suggest seeing the counselor through your surgeons office. You seiously need to be careful so early out and take care of that new pouch. I have emtional eating issues/old habits and it is a daily walk much like an alcholic and the like has to do.

Take care and be good to yourself.
Nancy

Kim H.
on 8/20/11 9:43 am - VA
RNY on 07/11/11 with
Thanks Nancy. I'm in counseling weekly. I do feel like I'm in and out of rehab depending on the day and what I'm eating. Maybe I need to check out overeaters anonymous, too. I'll do whatever it takes. I appreciate the support. Thanks again.

I am my own hero...I save myself one day, one meal, one bite, one choice, one challenge, one step at a time...
Ladytazz
on 8/20/11 9:41 am
Are you measuring your food?  I find it hard even now to eyeball portions.  If you are counting on feeling full in order to stop that may not work because the nerves in our stomach were cut and we don't get the full signal (or the hunger signal, which is a good thing).
Whenever I measure out my food I say to myself that it will never be enough but I tell myself that if I am still hungry I can have some more but I have never had to.  I put the food away after I measure it out and sit down to eat and give myself a little time to see if it satisfies me.  I have had to increase the amount the further out I get and my capacity gets bigger.  Go by what your surgeon's program suggests for serving sizes.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

lilbear412
on 8/20/11 9:43 am - MN
 I haven't had my surgery yet so i am not sure i can even be in the position to honestly comment on this.  I love all those foods too.  But i was on weigh****chers enough to have learned that normally if you have a craving or you want a food..try taking a little..and that will probably solved that issue.  and a little wont hurt you.  Also, if your hungry it might just be your brain telling you your actually thirsty so have a drink.  

But, when i was a smoker and my husband and i decided to quit...those cravings were the worst.  So what i started telling myself was just wait 5 minutes before you act...do something like go to the bathroom and wash your face or your hands or something to keep you occupied...cause 9 times out of 10 getting through those few minutes was all i needed and my craving was gone.  

good luck and i am sure you can do it...

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

Zeigled
on 8/20/11 10:10 am - Parkton, MD
It is great that you are recognizing the issue.  How about trying to start with foods that are not as easy to digest.  If you eat those first then maybe you can't fit as much of the easy food in.
HW 357 SW 341   

shellbell75
on 8/20/11 12:21 pm
I would suggest measuring and no seconds. Eat on a schedule.
**SHELLY**   HW: 316   SW: 256   GW: 125  CW: 118       

Most Active
Recent Topics