Best protein for Lactose Intolerance?

Jenners
on 8/22/11 8:42 am - Indianapolis, IN
So, come to find out the reason I have been sooooo sick this past week and have had severe diarrhea is due to, most likely, lactose intolerance.  My doctor told me to stay away from anything with milk in it.  I was looking at my cytomax protein water and the protein in it is derived from milk.  So this leads me to a bit of a problem.  I heard somewhere that syntax protein was good for lactose intolerant people, but does anyone know of any other proteins that are not made from milk?  Thanks!
~*~JEN~*~     

HW: 406   SW: 358   CW: 231      
poet_kelly
on 8/22/11 8:49 am - OH
Whey isolate is lactose free.  Yes, the whey comes from milk, but the way it's processed, there is no lactose in it.

Now, whey concentrate does have lactose.  But look for whey isolate.  And of course, mix it in water or soymilk.

There are also protein drinks made from soy isolate but you'd want to read the label carefully to make sure there is no whey concentrate or other milk thing mixed in there.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

YankeeRose
on 8/22/11 8:53 am - Meadville, PA
I drink the Cytomax also and they are lactose free, I believe it even says so on the bottle. I also use Lactaid milk which is lactose free and some stores also carry their own store brand of lactose free milk. I just saw an ad that Lactaid now has Lactaid cottage cheese.

Tammy
Luck 'o the Irish
HW399/SW362/CW219/GW130
*37 lbs were lost pre-op

Jenners
on 8/22/11 8:56 am - Indianapolis, IN
Huh, my bad, maybe I read it wrong....thanks for the clarification Kelly, I'll make sure I look at things more closely
~*~JEN~*~     

HW: 406   SW: 358   CW: 231      
poet_kelly
on 8/22/11 8:59 am - OH
If you're in doubt, you can always call the manufacturer's customer service number and ask if a product is lactose free.  Sometimes that's actually easier than trying to wade through their list of ingredients and figure it out.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

patricejj72
on 8/22/11 9:05 am - CA
Try Whey Protein Isolate from Jay Robb. It's a bit more expensive, but tastes great and everything is natural. You can get it from Vitamin Shoppe. . They have single serving sample packets to try it out. I am lactose intolerate before surgery so I can imagine it will be worse after. I researched and tested many brands. This one works!  Good luck in your search.
hlacy
on 8/22/11 9:06 am - Chandler, AZ
I second Jay Robb. They also have an Egg Powder with a great amount of protein. 
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

YankeeRose
on 8/22/11 12:27 pm - Meadville, PA
Does this protein have the bad whey smell?

Tammy
Luck 'o the Irish
HW399/SW362/CW219/GW130
*37 lbs were lost pre-op

sadEE
on 8/22/11 10:34 am
MUSCLE MILK LITE IS LACTOSE FREE. IT IS SOLD IN POWDER FORM, AS WELL AS, READY TO DRINK.

nfarris79
on 8/22/11 10:37 am - Germantown, MD
 Something else to rule out - - after you ascertain what type of protein you're consuming  - - is the "liquids in, liquids out" principle. I posted lots of questions when I was 1-2 months post op about my massive diarreah and I've been lactose intolerant since I was a little kid so naturally I thought it was the shakes. Nope. Once I was on solid foods (beyond pureed, real solids), my poo solidified after months of chronic diarreah. No more chachas. So if your protein is whey isolate and you're not consuming any type of dairy but still having the runs..... remember liquids in means liquids out your booty! Just FYI. May be TMI. IDK......

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 341 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 373 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 338 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 257 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 94 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?