Help!! Having surgery Monday 8/29/11

LuckyTracy
on 8/23/11 2:24 am - Highlands Ranch, CO
I am scheduled to have my RNY surgery on Monday, 8/29/11 but I am getting a little scared.  My family members, except for my husband, all keep telling me about horror stories of surgery gone wrong.

I am also confused about all the eating schedules after surgery.  I am trying to get everything prepared ahead of time, but I am not sure what I will need when I first get home, say for the first 3 or 4 days.

I could really use some support from someone who has gone through this before.

Tracy

trish11479
on 8/23/11 2:33 am
It is perfectly normal to be a little anxious before your surgery.  You shouldn't listen to the people telling you horror stories.  If they truely supported you they wouldn't tell you anything to scare you.  When you come home from surgery you will need alot of yogurt, pudding, jello and liquids.  Don't worry about the eating schedules.  They will explain everything to you in the hospital.  You won't have much, if any appetite when you come home.  I know that's hard to believe now, considering what we eat before surgery.  I am almost 2 months out and I have had no problems whatsoever.  You need to start surrounding yourself with positive people who only want you to succeed.  I heard someone say once "if you had cancer you would remove it or do whatever it takes to remove it.  Obesity is no different, you need to do whatever you have to to remove it."  I was so inspired by this, and I would have the surgery tomorrow in a heartbeat. 

poet_kelly
on 8/23/11 2:42 am - OH
Tell them to stop telling you horror stories.  If someone starts, tell them to stop.  If they don't stop, hang up the phone or leave the room.  Seriously.

Go read this post by someone who is four days post op.  Look at how well she is doing!  www.obesityhelp.com/forums/rny/4441823/Day-4-post-op/

Your doc hasn't given you a list of what you'll be eating the first week or two?  You will probably be on clear liquids or full liquids.  Have stuff like broth, cream soups, sugar free jello, sugar free popsicles and yogurt (make sure it's low in sugar).  Don't buy a lot of everything; one container of yogurt will be two or three meals for you.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

kellyl1202
on 8/23/11 2:55 am, edited 8/23/11 2:57 am
I have RNY scheduled for 9/12 and I have a whole booklet from surgeons office of pre & post op diet info. For me the first week post op is clear liquids only.  If you are not clear you should def check with your surgeon's office.
Kelly L  
5'ft 1in   RNY 9/12/11
301 HW / 287.7 SW / 216 CW / 150 GW

shannon0731
on 8/23/11 3:29 am - LA
Tracy, everyone gets nervous before any surgery. How mean those people are!!  I agree, ask them to stop. If they persist, hang up or walk out!! I bet the majority of the horror stories are people who did not follow the instructions their doc gave them!!

As far a diet post op goes, it seems to be the consensus that everyone comes home on clear liquids then followed by full liquids. For me, I started protein shakes with jus****er 5 days out. If they try to discharge you without a diet, ask them.  For my first post op visit, I also met wit the dietitian who went over week by week what I needed to have. I agree, don;t buy large quantities of any one thing. some people says their tastes change (mine didn't) and at the very least, your quantities you eat will be smaller. First time I ate oatmeal, I could only eat half the packet!

You will do great. And if you have a few hiccups, your doc and the team will be there for you. and all of us here will be there as well!!  Please keep us posted!!

Shannon
I'm Ready!

T. Deeds
on 8/23/11 3:31 am
Besides, from what I've read and experienced myself, most of the people who have complications would still have the surgery if they had it to do over again!  When you hear these stories second hand, you don't get to hear that part of the story.  My surgery wasn't without complications, but it's still the best thing that has every happened to me!  You are strong and won't be given more than you can handle!

Jameen G.
on 8/23/11 4:19 am - NC

Hey Tracy,

I am scheduled for surgery tomorrow.  I just went to the grocery store and bought some SF kool-aid packets that you can mix with your bottled water. Some broth (low sodium), but i also got some wonton soup broth from the chinese place.  I have SF jello ... I was told by my surgeon that when I leave the hospital I will be on clear liquids until go for my first check-up next Tuesday. That means ... I don't have to worry about cluttering my mind with all the different vitamins and such that I will be taking, or getting down the protein shakes.  I am just going to focus on moving around, walking and sipping ... as they say ... sip, sip, sip!!!

I am not in the least worried about the surgery.  I prayed about it and my God ok'd it ... so I have no worries there. I just want tomorrow to get here. As others have told you ... don't listen to any negativity.  I am not really hiding my surgery, because I believe I need to share in order that I might help someone else ... BUT I refuse to listen to any negativity out of anyone's mouth.  Girl, tell them to STOP THE MADNESS! THIS IS YOUR JOURNEY!

Oh and by the way, I just tasted my first SF popsicle ... pineapple flavor and it made me so DARN happy!  So make sure you get you some SF popsicles ... umm umm good :)

Be well!

jameen (take a minute to smile ...)

ladyprof
on 8/23/11 7:01 am - Marion, AR
I'm having surgery bright and early on the 29th as well, and I feel a peace about it.  Am I scared?  Yes, it's major surgery.  But what choice do I have, really?  I have tried everything I know to lose weight.  I have sleep apnea, my knees hurt, there are all kinds of restrictions in my life, and I can just feel if I don't do something quick I'm going to lose the good health I've taken for granted all my life.

So what about you?  What are the reasons you are doing this?  Is there anything else you could do to lose weight, really?  To me I had to make a rational choice to do something to change my life.  It's risky, but statistically not as risky as doing nothing.  So I hope I see you on the loser's bench, but if not, I hope you find the answers and the peace you need.

i_live_in_mn
on 8/23/11 10:24 am
I too am having my surgery on 8-29 and have a serious case of the nerves. I have heard some horror stories as well but in those stories i have decided that that was thier experience not mine. I am going into this with an open mind and I will follow all instructions by my doctor and his staff. My biggest fear is being under once i am out i know i wont know a thing. but it is the falling asleep part that has me the most scared. We will be strong we will be fine and we will wake up and start a new journey...I wish you all the best and God Bless. I would be interested in seeing your posts when you come home or while you are still at the hospital...our day is coming.....whooohoooo
LuckyTracy
on 8/23/11 1:04 pm - Highlands Ranch, CO
We could be surgery buddies.  It would be great sharing stories with you.

Most Active
Recent Topics