What happens at the Internist appointment? mine's tomorrow.

hjb
on 8/29/11 3:15 am
Hey everyone, I was hoping you could all give me an idea of what goes on at the Internist appointment? I have mine bright and early tomorrow morning. Do you think I will (finally) get my surgery date?? the only doctor I have yet to see is the psychologist... still waiting for that appointment.

Any replies would be so helpful! thanks :)
KatCooper
on 8/29/11 3:28 am - Collierville, TN
I couldnt get a surgery date until all of my consultations were complete.   All of the information had to go to insurance, they approved me, then I got my date.  But, everyone is different!!  Good luck!

Lots of 5K's, 10K's., 4 1/2 Marathons, 3 Sprint Triathlon done. 2 Olympics and my  First IRONMAN 70.3 September 2013 and First Full Marathon Dec 2013  !!!!!

My blog- www.NPRunner.blogspot.com

poet_kelly
on 8/29/11 3:34 am - OH
I don't think you'll get your surgery date from the internist.  Your surgeon will have to give you your surgery date.  The internist has no way of knowing your surgeon's schedule.

However, the surgeon probably won't give you a date until you've seen the psychologist and received approval from your insurance company (unless you are self pay or your insurance does not require pre approval)

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/29/11 5:10 am, edited 8/29/11 5:10 am - OH
What is the visit with the "internist" for? I only saw the surgeon, the psychologist, the dietician, and an exercise physiologist (as required by my insurance company).

It is VERY unlikely that you would get a surgery date before getting the "thumbs up" from the psychologist, and it is very unlikely that anyone but your surgeon's office would give you your surgery date (how would anyone else know what your surgeon's schedule is?).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

CarolineM
on 8/29/11 5:35 am
 You'll almost definitely need to see the psychologist before you get your surgery date.

Before I saw the internist, I'd had an EKG, echocardiogram (because of atrial fibrillation in the past), chest x-ray, visit with the pulmonologist and various breathing tests, 24 hour urine collection, and lots of blood work. My appointment with the internist was basically to put all the information together and determine if I was healthy enough for surgery, and it included a thorough physical exam. I've never had a doctor spend so long listening to my lungs and heart and poking around my abdomen.

This was the final item on the checklist from the surgeon's office, and she sent her okay to him via email actually during my appointment. I heard from his office a couple of days later with possible surgery dates.

HW 400   SW 355    CW 178   GW 180           5'10"

hjb
on 8/29/11 5:43 am
Okay, thanks!

I've been through the mill and back now... every appointment you've stated I've pretty much had, and then some... I'm just waiting on my psych appointment. I guess after that it will (hopefully) be smooth sailing ahead :)
Most Active
Recent Topics