Bathroom Issues

Nessy2976
on 9/19/11 3:05 am - MD
WOW...I never dreamed in a million years I would get constipated!!  I never have this problem and thought I still wouldn't, even though I read it here lots of times.  Well, I am a firm believer in STOOL SOFETNERS as of today!!!!  That was the worst thing EVER. Took me hours and I mean hours to finally go.  Needed lots of help with lube ( I know gross, but OUCH)  Was awful and now I feel for people who have this as a chronic problem, which I hope is not me now :-(
 "Patience is bitter, but the fruit can be sweet."                            
wynter57
on 9/19/11 3:21 am - Panama City, FL
I'm so sorry to hear this!

What was it like before today? Did you have more like diarrhea or really soft stools?

Before surgery, I was prone to very soft stools (not diarrhea, but very very soft), and I prefer that to constipation any day.

So far, I've been blessed since surgery. Had diarrhea but now is mostly soft like before surgery. I hope it doesn't change!

I also hope this was a one time experience for you!
Wynter
 VBG Surgery 4/17/1989 - Revision TO RNY 8/22/2011 - 4 Days Prior To Surgery WT: 309.5

laura_vermont
on 9/19/11 3:37 am

Unfortunately, you've joined the crowd.  Someone here recommended taking a couple stool softners with every dose of calcium  -- things are much better since I've followed that advice. 

High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

Nessy2976
on 9/19/11 4:14 am - MD
I am almost 5 weeks out and was having no problems. This took me by surprise to say the least!  i am guessing becuase I am eating more and it is all protein.  My body is use to a lot of veggies, so this is much different.  I will take a stool softener a day now....afraid not to!
Hillery82211
on 9/19/11 4:39 am - New Carrollton, MD
RNY on 08/22/11 with
The best thing that someone recommended to me on here was the Smooth Move herbal tea.  It's a natural laxative.  I drink a cup at bedtime and in the morning...it's smooth sailing!!!  I don't need it everyday (thankfully) but every now and then when I'm getting that extra full feeling like I need to go and can't....this works.

Pre-op, I never had constipation issues....even when taking heavy pain meds.  I went every morning like clock work.  Now....not so much...lol.
HW & SW: 363     Surgery date: 8/22/11    
Cupeycakekisses
on 9/19/11 5:30 am
I can't even go now and I was the two a day kinda girl before.. it totally blows. Ughh I hate this constipated, bloated feeling.
Who knew 3 weeks post op I would feel so terrible. XD
Nessy2976
on 9/19/11 5:37 am - MD
I didn't go for 3 weeks when I came home, but I chalked that up to not eating much. When I did start to finally go, it was normal and I went like every other day until last week.  I noticed I had not gone and I started feeling bloated.....knew it was gonna happen soon, but had no IDEA I would be so constipated. Was AWFUL and I NEVER wana experience that again!
Hillery82211
on 9/19/11 5:45 am - New Carrollton, MD
RNY on 08/22/11 with
I try and be proactive....if I miss a day...then I'm drinking the tea that evening/night.  I can't take that heavy bloated "blah" feeling.  It makes it more difficult for me to eat and drink because I just feel so clogged up. The MOST I can do is two days....after that....it's time to declare WAR...
HW & SW: 363     Surgery date: 8/22/11    
marioluigi
on 9/19/11 6:18 am
1) Our insides were traumatized so they slow down.

2) We have to take big doses of calcium (very binding).

3) Many of us have to take big doses of iron (same).

4) I just found out through the Kaiser Permanente info website that Vitamin D is constipating.

Our poor bowels have it all stacked against them.

I'm on the Miralax, 2 stool softener plan, daily, probably for life.

ChaosInFL
on 9/19/11 8:05 am - Orlando, FL
How much Miralax are you taking?

Thank you.

Most Active
Recent Topics