Will the weight loss stop?

StampinCatMom
on 9/23/11 11:24 pm - Columbus, OH
Dumb question, I know! But I'm 11 # past my surgeon's goal of 160 and it keeps coming off. Please don't get me wrong...I'm not complaining...AT ALL! I just keep doing what I've been doing and letting it come naturally. Well, actually, the eating habits are exactly that now, habits, and I"m happy with that and feel satisified. I guess I'm just waiting for the other shoe to fall, so to speak. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, right?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.
It's about getting out there and dancing in the rain!

mrslatch
on 9/23/11 11:47 pm - Fort Campbell, KY
I'd say that maybe your body just hasn't reached its happy place yet, which is awesome! In most cases your body will eventually find a weight that it is happy and will be easy (that term is relative I know) for you to maintain. Until then, or your weight gets unhealthy, I wouldn't worry too much. Just enjoy the ride!
Morgan  My Blog
Proud Army Wife! 

(deactivated member)
on 9/23/11 11:52 pm
I think it's a GOOD question and the answer is probably different for everyone, but I would encourage you to figure out your basal metabolic rate for your height and weight, track your calories and movement for a week, and see where you are and what it means to you in terms of a healthy weight, normal BMI, calories in and out, and the spot where you and your docs are comfortable.  There are sites everywhere that help you compile this info.  Some people use Spark people.  I use Everyday Health.

If you can afford to keep losing, most of the vets encourage it to help combat the bounce back weight.  You may still be in the honeymoon period people speak of, where there is still absorption of calories.

I am 11 months out tomorrow, 9 pounds under goal, with a BMI of 22.5.  I track everything and weigh daily.  I still have the possibility of 7-13 more months of malabsorption and I don't want to lose much more--the lower your BMI, the fewer pounds it takes to get to underweight (for me, it would be about 23 pounds).  I am still struggling to find my sweet spot for maintenance, consuming over 2000 calories daily and not exercising much, so if I don't track, the weight continues to come off.  Left to my own devices, without tracking my food, I would eat about half that.

Great job!  You are amazingly successful and have lost a person.  Simply awesome!

poet_kelly
on 9/24/11 12:27 am - OH
Yes, at some point the weight loss will stop.  Apparently right now you are still not eating as many calories as you burn in a day.  When you begin eating as many calories as you burn, you will stop losing weight.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

ibeanniebe
on 9/24/11 12:28 am - NM
I can only answer this question from my own experience. Weight loss without effort does end at some point and before two years out. The tool is still useful if you want to continue to lose or if you have a little bounce back and need to lose just that. In my case I got down to 150 a little over a year out and then had a 10 - 15 pound bounce back. I maintained around 160 for long while but then decided I wanted to lose some more. Now I have to really pay attention to my protein and carb intake to lose. I have to exercise as well but I am doing it though much slower than before. Since March I have gotten down to 143 pounds and am trying to reach 135. It will continue to take much effort on my part to get there and I will probably have to work at staying there but it still is easier than before I had surgery. First of all the physical effort is easier since I don't have all that excess weight dragging me down. I don't need weight loss drugs (that don't work anyway) or fad diets (also don't work long term). I just need to consume what my body needs in the way of protein and nutrients (supplements) and it works.My surgeon's goal for me was 165. Of course on my tiny 5'3" frame that still put me in the overweight category. I am seeking a normal BMI and I am nearly there.
Ann and the 'Bean'
Blogs mysecondhalfoflife.blogspot.com/ and amanicinsomniacsreadinglist.blogspot.com/

High/Surg/current/goal - 320/253/150/healthy - I am 5' 3" tall - Size 8 now! Past surgeon's goal now!

Mary Catherine
on 9/24/11 1:40 am, edited 9/24/11 1:57 am
After RNY the average person loses 100 pounds. That is sometimes accomplished by six months, for others might take 2 years. If you have more or less to lose then your body and your diet and exercise will help the surgery to get you to your goal weight.

The lowest body weight is usually registered at 24 months after surgery. During the 18 month honeymoon period weight loss is easy and maintenance is easy. In fact people think they are in maintenance and are surprised that they can eat anything and not gain. Maintenance really starts at about 30 months out.

Sometime between 18 months and 36 months after surgery, the body makes an adjustment and bounces back with around 20 pounds of regain. It is smart to try to get to 20 pounds lower than what you want to maintain longterm.

The body will just stop losing when it is ready and normally will not gain again until after the readjustment when the pouch expands and the intestines figure out how to start absorbing more calories.
grego.phillips
on 9/24/11 1:56 am
Greg here. 6 years post-op and doin' fine :)

I think I actually lost TOO much weight. It wasn't the surgery that did it, it was me. Like most on here, you are so anxious to get those pounds off, it is actually possible to lose too much. I dropped to 150 and I am 5-8". Now the doctors books will tell you that is perfect for me, but I really thought I looked and felt frail. So, I have purposely gained back to around 180-185ish. I feel and look a lot better. For my part I have used the surgery as a tool. It is easy for me to go all day and eat very little if I want. At the same time, I will, on occasion, have something that is completely non-healthy, just to get a nice calorie shot if I think I need to put a little back on.

So, use the surgery as a tool, and YOU will become master of your weight. Don't expect it to be a magic bullet, or something that is beyond your control. You are in control of it. In fact, you always have been :) Just took surgery for me to realize it.

Much love,

Grego
hedrider
on 9/24/11 2:01 am - Midlothian, TX
When you get to a point where your calorie intake is enough to balance your calorie output, then the weight will stop.  It's simple math at that point.
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 41 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 293 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 298 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 338 views