Vitamins, Vitamins and more Vitamins

RainDiva
on 9/24/11 11:27 am
Ok guys I really need your help. I went to my last pre op appt and they gave me a list of vitamins I will need to start when I come home from hospital

List of Vitamins

Multivitamin

Calcium must have citrate in it
1000mg-1500mg

Iron
50-65mg

Vitamin B12
1000mg

Vitamin D
2,000IU daily since I already have a need for it

and I need to get unflavored protein

ok need opinion on best vitamins (cheapest, easiest to chew, best tasting)

and I need your tips on how to get the 60-80 protein a day what did you do?

thanks Guys!!!!!!

emt_amy
on 9/24/11 11:36 am - MN
well the multivitamin has to be chewable, my insurance covers mine so I get it cheap, cerovite Jr is what they give me.
for the calcium I'm taking bariatric advantage calcium citrate chews, they are about $12 and come in lemon, raspberry, chocolate, and caramel. they are delicious!
don't know bout the others tho. I would go to a pharmacy in the area of your hospital. they deal with it often and know what to do.
poet_kelly
on 9/24/11 11:38 am - OH
I'm guessing you want a chewable multi to start with?  cheapest would be chewable Centrum, or actually a generic equivalent.  As far as best tasting, well, everyone has different tastes.

For calcium, the ASMBS says we need 1500-2000 mg calcium citrate a day, so 1500 should be the minimum.  If you want chewable, my cheapest favorite is Upcal D, which is not really chewable but a powder you can mix in any drink.  It has no taste at all.  I order mine online at Colonial Medical.  The best tasting, IMO, is Calcet creamy bites from Celebrate but they are expensive.  The Bariatric Advantage caramel chews are good too.  The cost per dose works out about the same but BA has had a special for a while now where you buy two bags, get one free, so I've been buying those instead of the Calcet.

Both Celebrate and BA have chewable iron but I've never tried either of them.  I use Sundown Perfect Iron, which is a pill I swallow.  They are tiny and easy to swallow and pretty cheap.  I order from drugstore.com.

For B12, it sounds like you're looking for a sublingual.  I don't know which brand tastes best.  Whatever I tried after surgery, I can't even recall the brand now, but I didn't like them at all.  I do shots now and really prefer that.  There is also a nasal spray you can do instead of the sublingual, if you want.

For vitamin D, you need to make sure you're getting D3, not D2.  When you say you already have a need for it, how low is your vitamin D level?  Because 2000 IU daily is a really small dose.  It is very likely you'll need a lot more than that.

I recommend going to vitalady.com and getting samples of a bunch of different protein powders.  Everyone has different tastes and your tastes may change after surgery, so I would not stock up now.

In the first month or so, you'll probably get most of your protein from shakes.  You can probably also eat stuff like Greek yogurt and cottage cheese, which are high in protein.  One trick someone told me that helped me a lot was this.  First thing in the morning, put one scoop of unflavored protein powder in a dish on your kitchen counter.  Everytime you get something to eat, try to put a little bit of the protein in it.  Just start with a little pinch in your yogurt, pudding, soup, sugar free hot chocolate, whatever.  Just a pinch, stir well and see if you think another pinch will still be edible.  Even using just a little pinch at a time, by the end of the day you'll have gotten an extra 20 grams of protein or so.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

RainDiva
on 9/24/11 12:31 pm
thank you so much for the info. I just had vit d level tested and good at 2000 iu I will keep a check on that one for sure just in case

Moniqueper
on 9/24/11 11:48 am
I just bought from Costco today a calcium & vitamin D3 liquid combo, for $8.99 and it's 1000ml
the brand is called "wellesse" its a natural citrus flavor; contains 1000mg calcium;25mcg (1000IU/UI0 vitamin D3.

I also picked up a multivitamin for adults gummy vitamins - natural berry,lemon and orange flavoured 250 gummies for $11.00; brand is "vitafusion" Multivite.

As for the B12 i will be calling my family doctor to see if she can arrange for me to get a monthly shot, not sure, but crossing fingers as I cannot imagine chewing one of those capsules.  And I am still on the lookout for a chewable iron vitamin, if I find them this weekend I will keep you posted.  

Now, for those of you who are pros at this as I am a rookie, is it worth taking flax seed oil? I know that there is a significant hair loss if your weight loss is drastic, so I thought this could help me, so I picked up a bottle of the oil today as well.  Let me know your thoughts.

Good luck with your surgery, I go in on Thursday, looking forward to start my new journey.

poet_kelly
on 9/24/11 11:58 am - OH
The gummies you bought really dont' meet your needs at all.  They have no B2, no copper, no zinc, no selenium, etc.  To get all the nutrients you need, you'll need to take at least eight of those a day, plus additional supplements for all the things they are missing.

The calcium you bought is a combo of calcium citrate and tricalcium phosphate.  You won't absorb the tricalcium phosphate, so take that into account when figure out how many doses you need a day.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

RainDiva
on 9/24/11 12:29 pm
I forget why but my nut told me not to use gummies just so you know. You may want to ask your nut. She gave me so much info I really forget why. Something like we dont absorb the gummies well or they dont have enough vitamins we need. Sorry I wish I could remember. good luck with you surgery please keep in touch

poet_kelly
on 9/24/11 12:46 pm - OH
It was probably because of all the vitamins and minerals that are missing from gummies.

lilbear412
on 9/24/11 3:01 pm - MN
 Multivitamin i use centrum silver chewable

Calcium i just ordered some from bariatric choice some of those calcet chews..i loved the lemon and some of the carmel ones.  I might do the Upcal D ones too eventually.  

I havent started taking iron yet..

Vitamin B12 i got these natures bounty sublingual cherry ones from CVS.  I took my first 2 this morning (they are 500 ) and as soon as i put them in my mouth they dissolved and were so sweet and good that i immediately looked to see what kind of sugar was in them..sucralose was listed.

Vitamin d3 i am using a 1000iu sublingual called Dots.  I got them at vitamin shoppe and CVS might have had them too.  They do not melt near as fast as the b12 but take about 10 minutes under the tongue to melt.  

If you go to Bariatric Choice they have a place to click on free samples.  They will send you a pack of goodies.  

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

axlebart2
on 9/24/11 5:28 pm, edited 9/24/11 5:35 pm - CA
Centrum Silver Chewable..
just ordered BA tub and crystal paks(the 250mg chocolate chews are the best but to low of a dose)  and will start them after my 2 weeks out,  monday is the day for my op).
D3 is a gel cap, B2 is a sublingual.
Stay way away from any thing Gummy...chews are a better choice!
protain I use many fav is Muscle Milk both reg and lite only because the Nuts can't agree on which one...I do well on both..
Also ISOPURE zero carb drinks and Protain Bullets..I do about 160/200 grams of protain a day in suppliments....
but am working everyday and I asked if you can do to much and all she said was as long as I was not adding to many carbs!!
CVS has alot of choices on all your needs!
good luck 
jack 
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 190 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 254 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 304 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 264 views