What did you use for incision scars?

true2me.2011
on 9/25/11 1:53 am - OH
Hello All!

I am 2.5 weeks out from my procedure.  They removed the drain tube 4 days ago.  I am concerned about the incision scars.  They are raised and I do not want them to keloid or remain raised.  What did you put on your scars to get them to disappear?  When did you start using your particular product/

Thank you for your reply in advance.

emt_amy
on 9/25/11 2:04 am - MN
Right now I'm using neosporin on them till the scabs fall off then I will use mederma. Mine are raised pretty good too but I'm not really one to show off my tummy.
Rachael Richardson
on 9/25/11 3:04 am, edited 9/25/11 3:05 am - Alexandria , VA
RNY on 06/20/11 with
I tend to also develop Keloids easily and two of my scars are a bit raised now.  I started using mederma last month three times a day.  I hope it works!  Many people on OH reccommend mederma. 
lilbear412
on 9/25/11 3:07 am - MN
 nothing...lol  i am old and don't intend on showing any of my scars or wearing 2 piece bathing suits anyways. ha!  i had lap for the gall bladder to and have some thin lines that are not noticeable but i have a 12 inch scar on my left side from a kidney operation. i have no intention of showing my belly off. ha!!  but i say if you have it..use it so you can show it off.  

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

RonSudol
on 9/25/11 6:41 am - NJ
i have been starting to put vitamin E on mine... my wife had some scars in the past from surgury, and vitamin E had done wonders for them

---------------(Starting Weight - 365) ------------ (Current Weight - 165) ------------    

Cherylkas
on 9/25/11 7:25 am - PA
 i was told not to put anything on mine. But then I too am not to worried about them. Mine were raised to start off but now 6 months out they are actually sunken in.
 Come visit me on my bloghttp://apeekintomytreehouse.com/ 

Start weight 282, Surgery weight 265, Current weight 131, Goal weight 140 

A woman is like a tea bag - you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water.  Eleanor Roosevelt

sadEE
on 9/25/11 7:33 am

Hi,

I hate to break it to you but if you normally keloid and the incisions are already raised you may need to get a series of kenalog injections at the site of the scars. These injections are used to treat keloids. There is never a guarantee that they will work; only time will tell. They are usually administered by plastic surgeons. Over the counter creams most likely will not work if you are a keloider. Talk to your physician about it.

Paula F.
on 9/25/11 9:43 am - Rochester Hills , MI
I was told not to put anything at all on the during the scabbing stage.  Just try to keep them dry.  I am finally past that stage and plan to ask dr. at my next visit.  I'll keep watching this post with interest to see what people are using.  I had heard good things about Vit E oil in the past, but plan to follow what Dr. suggests.
Nell R.
on 9/25/11 9:54 am - Hewitt, TX
I didn't use anything, and you can't see my scars at all. I also didn't have a drain.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/25/11 9:55 am, edited 9/24/11 9:56 pm - OH
None of my many incisions from the various surgeries have ever been raised, but when I had my panniculectomy, I did a little experiment since it was such a huge incision (and no one other than an intimate partner would ever see it). On one section I used Mederma; on another section I used vitamin E oil; on another section I used a silicone strip; on the final section I used nothing but my normal moisturizer. After about a month, there was no significant difference between the 4 sections, but -- if I was forced to pick a winner -- the section that looked the best was the section that I had just used the moisturizer on! The section with the silicone strip had a bit more color to it than the other sections, so it actually seemed to slow down the healing. None of the sections had any open, raised, or thickened areas, and all ended up being very thin and white.

I know there are people who swear by certain scar care products (but I don't know how they can judge their effectiveness since they have not seen what the same scars would look like WITHOUT using the pricey products (which is why I did my little experiment)!), but based on my experience on my skin, all of the special scar items are a waste of money.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 315 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 231 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 296 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 150 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 56 views
Recent Topics