Depressed and feeling like I shouldn't have had the surgery

LuckyTracy
on 9/28/11 9:30 am - Highlands Ranch, CO
I am so down and depressed today.  I had my RNY surgery a month ago tomorrow on 8/29/11.  I was so hopefully that this was the answer.

I have lost some weight, I have gone from 235 to 210 but for some reason I feel like the weignt isn't coming off fast enough.  I don't know why I feel this way but I do.

Also on Sunday I was admitted into the hospital because I started having internal bleeding.  I ended up needing 3 units of blood and they had to do an endoscopy to find that I had a bleeding ulcer.  They clipped it and supposedly all is well now.

I feel overwhelmed, I was suppose to start a new job on Monday, but because I was in the hospital they decided to go with another canidate.  The temp agency called me today for another job, but I told them I didn't think I could start until Monday because I just got home yesterday and I was feeling tired and weak.  They decided to go with another canidate instead of waiting until Monday.  I haven't worked since the beginning of August.

I just feel so overwhelmed with all the vitamins, what I am suppose to eat and not suppose to eat and now when to take more medications.  I was feeling good about stopping some of the meds but now I just added two more.

Please tell me this gets better.

(deactivated member)
on 9/28/11 9:36 am - Santa Cruz, CA
Wow~~ you are definitely a candidate for a group hug if I've ever seen one!  I'm so sorry you've
had such a rough start, but believe me things will be better soon. 

The Ulcer problem was a tough break;  I'm surprised your surgeon hadn't done some H. Pylori
testing or an EDG pre-op.  I'm glad that the problem was taken care of and I hope you'll soon be
feeling better.

The vitamins and changes in eating, and liquid intake, and meds are difficult for all of us.  It's
something that you will have to work at to fit your own life, but it will happen.

As to the lost job opportunities, that is really hard in this day and age, but I'll keep my fingers
crossed that you will soon be healthy enough to jump into the next offer.

Best wishes, and lots of hugs,
Oxford Comma Hag
on 9/28/11 9:39 am
Oh, Tracy, I'm sorry you have been so sick. You are doing very well with your weight loss. I had my RNY on 9/12/11 and I did get a little depressed the first week. It is hard to be upbeat when you don't feel well.

Even though you didn't get the job, it might be better to go back to work after you have healed more. I applied for an internal position at my job a couple of weeks before my surgery. I didn't get it, but I think that turned out okay. Not sure I could have given it my all while I was healing.

As for the vitamins, I take mine on a schedule: some in the morning, some in the afternoon, and some in the evening. I'm sure some of the long-timers will chime in with some great advice on what to eat and not eat. I'm still on the liquid phase, so I haven't any suggestions.

Your pharmacist can also help you get on track with when to take your meds and with what.
Ladytazz
on 9/28/11 9:50 am, edited 9/28/11 9:50 am
I promise it will get better.  You have had a rough start for sure but by this time next year it will all be a distant memory, as will be the extra weight.
Right now just focus on getting in enough fluids.  The other stuff will fall into place.
I hope you find a new job soon.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Marti2
on 9/28/11 9:52 am

((LuckyTracy))  I'm sorry about your ulcer and loss of the job opportunity.  I'm sure those things have made this all much more of a burden.  I'm a few days behind you and I think your loss is
really good.  People always say not to compare, it's hard not too, I know. I think all the lifestyle adjustments get easier as we feel better and get used to incorporating them into our lives.  I
think a little healing time from needing 3 units of blood and you'll be a new woman.  When
you're not feeling well, everything is so much harder to cope with.  

Does your surgeon have nutrition classes to help you know what to eat?  If not, I'm sure you
can get some ideas here.  I know I went to the store yesterday and just walked the isles and added some things to my diet just from getting ideas here.  Get one of those daily pill
holders and set up your meds and vitamins once a week so it's easy to know what to take
when.  Find a way to track things that works for you.  A simple form on Excel works for me
because I'm on the computer too much : )  Best Wishes!

RNY to Lapband  9/2/2011 5'4"  205/189/125   

Angie H.
on 9/28/11 10:31 am - TN
I understand girl!! I am trying not to get depressed myself!  You have had a rough time!! You are making me feel like a baby for beign whiney! (I am having pain on my left side. I am told by my physician and his staff that its completely normal as it is where he stitched internally to a muscle. All I know is that girl it hurts! Feels like a hot knife being twisted in my side!!)

I am not a veteran around here, but I have heard them talk about hospital visits impair you weight loss... With all the IV fluids and stuff ... That some people GAIN (*gasp) weight while they are in the hospital (or at least it LOOKS like a weight gain, when it is really fluid, being bloated..) None the less... it SUCKS!!!

Hopefully your hospital visits are OVER!!!

It is also crap about the lost job opportunities, but man it would be hard to start a new job feeling so bad.... I have had difficulties going back to work to my job where I have been for several years and I have WONDERFULco-workers who are compassionate and care about me and try every day to make it easier on me... If I didn't have that I would have to be at home. Twisitng and bending and moving is a chore. I move pretty slowly and I can't bend over pick something up...

The vitamins thing... I am struggling with that too. I am starting to get a system down, but it is a work in progress... LOL...

I believe that it will be better - very soon. I know it will. We are strong, and we are following in the foot-steps of may others who have done this as well and they are now our friends and "cheer team!" Hang in there... Be strong!!!

LuckyTracy
on 9/28/11 10:38 am - Highlands Ranch, CO
Thank you everyone, yes I did need a group hug.  I think I am going to consider tonorrow the start of my do over from surgery instead of my one month out date.  I just need to shift my frame of mind and go back to the happy person I usually am.  My last name is Luck, so you would think I should start to have some of that pretty soon.

LaToya S.
on 9/28/11 10:39 am - Edwardsville, IL
Is there a support group you can attend near by? I am pretty sure that it does get better. Are you doing any exercises?like walking?

Keep posting here and you will have our support!

LaToya
www.youtube.com/user/lmscrogg

Twitter: @ScrogginsFamily  

waitingtoexhale69
on 9/28/11 10:45 am - IL

HI I AM SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR BUMPY START AND YOUR FEELINGS OF  DEPRESSION.  I FEEL YOU ON THAT, MY SURGERY DATE WAS AUG 29,2011 AND I THOUGHT I WAS PREPARED FOR THE AFTER MATH OF THE SURGERY BUT WOW WAS I EVER SO WRONG.  I WAS IN TERRIBLE PAIN THE FIRST NIGHT  AND THE WOUND PACKING TO MY ABDOMEN TOKE THE CAKE.  I WAS HATING EVERY MOMENT OF HAVING THIS SURGERY BECAUSE OF MY PAIN INTOLERANCE,  NOT BEING ABLE TO GET COMFORTABLE, THE HORRIFIC GAS PAIN, BIZARRE NIGHTMARES FROM THE ANESTHESIA, THE CONSTANT ABDOMINAL GURGLING AND OTHER SOUNDS EMANATING FROM MY BELLY.  I WAS JUST A SAD CASE.  I WAS VERY AND STILL KINDA UPSET ABOUT MY DECISION, AND LIKE YOU I WISH THE WEIGHT WOULD COME OFF FASTER, ALTHOUGH I KNOW IT;S NOT LOGICAL.  IT TOKE TIME TO PILE IT ON AND KNOW I'M ASKING FOR MAGIC.  WHAT A WORLD! RECENTLY I HAVE BEEN FEELING REALLY DOWN AND NUMB, I'VE CONSULTED WITH MY THERAPIST SHE FEELS THAT AS LONG AS IT'S KEEPING ME COPING THEN IT'S OK.  I HAVE NO CLUE.  BUT AS FAR AS THOSE JOB OPPORTUNITIES THEY REALLY WERE NOT FOR YOU TO HAVE, GOD HAS SOMETHING MORE BETTER SUITED FOR YOU I BELIEVE.  EVERYTHING WILL WORK OUT IN YOUR FAVOR AFTER THIS BUMMPY ROAD STRAIGHTENS OUT. BE GENTLE WITH YOUR SELF, THIS IS A TENDER TIME FOR ALL OF US. 
I TOO AM WAITING FOR SOME JOB TO COME THROUGH FOR ME AS WELL, I JUST PUT IT IN GOD'S HANDS ( BUT I STILL WORRY)

poet_kelly
on 9/28/11 10:47 am - OH
I understand why you feel that way.  So far you've lost 25 pounds, which is excellent for just one month, but it's not enough that you're really enjoying the benefits of weight loss yet.  Plus you've had to deal with this ulcer and no one enjoys that.  So it's like so far you've got to experience a bunch of the negatives of having WLS and not many of the positives yet.

The positives are gonna come.  I promise.  Right now just try to take things one step at a time.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
Recent Topics