Looking for RNYs 5 to 6 years post surgery

michelebell1
on 9/30/11 6:36 am - AZ

My sister says she has met people this far out that wish they never would have done the surgery.  I would like to hear from both sides of the fence. Sure, I have seen some negative outcomes but usually thought they were from not following the rules.
I am all ears! Looking forward to my surgery Dec 5th! :))

Diminishing Dawn
on 9/30/11 6:53 am - Windsor, Canada
I am five years out and 2 months.

I don't regret it at all. 

One thing is though that after a good chunk of time, people do struggle with their eating. I fight with myself every day over the decisions I've made. I've had some regain and I beat myself up constantly over it although surgeons say it is the norm.

There are challenges. Things are not easy peasy.  The first year to two years was a breeze but then I find that the psychological aspects of surgery really come into play the longer you are out.  And of course, addiction.  

That is when to me, having a support system or support group is critical. We are constantly falling off the wagon and getting back on. It can be tiring to do so.  Is this your sister's issue or does she have others? 

I wouldn't trade the mobility aspects of this, the quality of life aspects for a minute.  It's amazing to be normal and not living the life of the morbidly obese. It is easy to forget.  Email me anytime if you want to chat.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

mimi419
on 9/30/11 7:12 am - Ypsilanti, MI
We have the same surgeon... My surgery is on Oct 4th....
michelebell1
on 10/1/11 6:44 am - AZ
We do?  Dr. Robin Blackstone?  I will keep you in my prayers!  So how is the pre op diet going?
michelebell1
on 10/1/11 6:38 am - AZ
Hi Dawn! I am so glad to hear your side of the story! Which part do you find harder to stick with no days: the emotional eatting issues or the stomach is not as tight as it once was so it is easier to eat more or any other reasons?
Please add me as a friend, I would to keep in touch.
Thank you!  Michele
Diminishing Dawn
on 10/2/11 8:35 am - Windsor, Canada
We can eat a lot after many years out. That's one issue - so it takes more food to fill us.  Then there is the emotional eating, boredom eating and eating because food is there.  

You can't go cold turkey with food LOL

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Dave Chambers
on 9/30/11 7:07 am - Mira Loma, CA
I'm over 5 years post op. I have no regrets about the surgery at all. There are some times I remember eating some things that bother me now, but I can live with that.  The final outcome of wt loss surgery usually is best if you can follow good eating habits, portion control, exercise, take your supplements, have regular labs, exercise on a regular basis, etc.  There are a select few who may have issues from surgery. One woman in one of my support groups has ongoing heart issues where she passes out a lot of the time, sometimes with siezures. She's had a pacemaker implanted with no improvement. I had dizzy issues, and a pacemaker solved my issues. But this woman has some type of major issue that has not been diagnosed yet, even after about 2 years of testing.  She is still glad she had the surgery though. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

michelebell1
on 10/1/11 6:43 am - AZ
Wow Dave!  I am so glad that they resolved your dizziness with a pacemaker.  I hope your friend has seen a neurologist along the way.  So sorry to hear she is still trying to get a diagnosis.  I really can understand how that can be possible.  Give her my best and tell her never to give up! I will have to keep up with your posts, very educational.  I think you have the right idea about life after RNY. Congrats on your choice!
Dave Chambers
on 10/1/11 6:53 am - Mira Loma, CA
This poor woman exhibit similar problems to me, and I spoke to her about my pacemaker. She had a test at the hosptital and her heart stopped. She had a pacemaker implanted that same day. She has been to several cardiologists, neuroligists, etc. over the past 2 years or so.  He doctor's can't seem to find a definitive diagnosis, and they're thinking of sending her to the Mayo Clinic for extensive testing.  But there is no proof that her issues are a result from her RNY surgery. Many times, "things happen" health wise, and have noting to do with havint RNY surgery.  This woman rarely drives herself anywhere due to issues of passing out. She can't shower without her husband at home, go for walks by herself, etc.  We ask her every month if she has any diagnosis yet. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

michelebell1
on 10/1/11 4:04 pm - AZ
Dave, you got it! There are other problems that people have that have no relation to their surgery. These are separate illnesses that didn't present during the preop testing and assessment period.  At least she got the weight off.  Nothing worse then caregiving to an obese person and lifting is very difficult and should not be done alone.  Easier said then done.  I have back problems for lifting with minimal to no help during my nursing career. I will do whatever it takes to keep me moving. :) I too am seeing neurologists and tests keep confusing them as well.  I get dizzy and have difficult seeing clearly among weakness is all limbs...etc.  Frustrating but I am not giving up.  I love to keep busy and work so I will find ways to make things work for me. First off, get the weight off and goal to keep it off by following the rules. :))
Most Active
Recent Topics