1 Airplane Seat, No Extender and Down 105!

BoiseB
on 10/4/11 2:38 pm - Boise, ID
Hi Everyone,
     I'm so excited because not only did I finally break into triple digit weight loss today (minus 105 total!) but I went on a weekend trip and was able to buy one seat for the first time in years.  AND, I discovered I didn't even need the seat belt extender.  It's funny how the little victories make me feel so good.
      Not to mention I was able to site-see in Denver, walk around with my friends, and shop quite a bit without getting out of breath, sweaty and tired.  I look forward to many more active vacations!

Next phase - I have to get off my butt and EXERCISE so my success continues.  My assignment from the doc today was to experiment with a variety of exercise options and rotate the 3 - 4 I enjoy the most.  I'm open to recommendations. 

Beth
HW:  407 SW: 357 RNY 7/11/11      
Gina1013
on 10/4/11 3:34 pm - Canton, OH
 Congrats on the 105..NICE!!!
 Hearing the 'click' on the regular old seatbelt must have been satisfying for you:) 

As far as the exercising...if you are interested in an exercise machine, I would recommend the 'Cardio-Glide'.  It has a smooth motion with adjustable tension and you get aerobic AND muscle workout from it....both upper and lower body (It takes up about as much room as a recumbent bike and is really well constructed and sturdy)

Weight at consult 7/14/11:  413

seattledeb
on 10/4/11 6:17 pm
Knowing that I can fit on any seat on any plane is such a cool thing. I used to get such anxiety before I flew. Now it's a complete joy.
Congrats on making that goal..it's a big one.

About exercise..it's about moving. Moving a little more every day. Moving faster..moving longer. It helps to do something you like. For me it's walking the dog at the dog park. Every day we go a little further (much to my lazy dogs chagrin). I also like swimming and riding my bike. I think people think exercise is some structured icky thing they hate doing. For  me it's about moving.
It builds on itself and you find yourself liking it more and more. Find ways to move that make you happy.
Deb T.

cajuntjm
on 10/4/11 6:31 pm - Greensboro, NC
That's an awesome NSV!  I love the feeling of fiting comfortably in my seat.  I still have a ways to go but this is surely one of the perks of leading  a healthy lifestyle.

Congrats to you!!

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 10/4/11 8:46 pm
I am flying in a couple of weeks. I am thrilled that I won't need an extender this time.

Excercises:  walking, recline bike (easy on the joints)

Winnie

Kim S.
on 10/5/11 12:40 am - Helena, AL
That was one of my favorite milestones!  It is funny though, I still get a little apprehensive when boarding a plane.....I KNOW in my head that I'm "normal" sized, but I still have the bad memories!

I recently flew with a friend of mine that is MO.  She had to ask for an extender for the first time, and she was mortified.  My heart just went out to her.  It brought back a lot of bad memories.  I kept the arm rests up for all of the flights so she'd be more comfortable.

As for exercise, I am now an exercise junkie and have been for 3 years now.  For the first time in my life, I am an athlete!!  The key is to find what you like--then it isn't a chore.

I initially set up a home gym in my basement.  The first things I got were:  treadmill, elliptical, nautilus weight machine, exercise ball, free weights and a punching bag.

I used the elliptical for a while and got bored with it.  I now only use the treadmill if I cannot get outside to run.  By using the treadmill I discovered my love for running.  I got bored with the Nautilus weights after about a year.  I only liked the punching bag long enough for it to get hung up!  I saw the commercial for P90X and on a dare from my husband, bought it.  It is probably my favorite workouts still after two years.

Today I mostly hike, run, P90X and yoga.  I tried Zumba, but HATED it.  I typically will not like something I'm not good at, and I am so not good at Zumba!

Also, more importantly, make permanent changes to how you live each day by incorporating more activity.  Take the steps whenever you can, park in the very back of the parking lots, walk instead of driving, stretch during commercials, or even better, turn off the TV, put on some good music and dance like a freak for 30 minutes!!

This is just the beginning of the wonderful changes you are going to experience on this journey.  I'm proud of you for getting into exercise mode!  The sooner the better.

Wishing you much continued success and victories!

Kim

AnneGG
on 10/5/11 1:29 am
Awesome, both the seat and the loss!!!

With regard to exercise, It is essential for me, and what keeps me going with it is my health. That I look better is also nice.

I started with walking daily about a year and a half ago, and am now up to running 5 miles a day 5-6 days out of 7. I procrastinate about getting going (I'm procrastinating right now), but I feel so much better when it's done.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

InkdSpEdTchr
on 10/5/11 1:35 am
Congrats! I remember that moment...I think I teared up a bit too!

I think your docs advice is great,  it's a good idea to switch up what your doing but at least you should be increasing whatever it is that you like to do. For example if you like the treadmill, increase the incline a bit each week, or go for a little longer- ramping up the intensity will keep it from being boring!

Find things that you enjoy, and a group or a buddy that can do it with you- working out is a lot more fun with others to suffer with!

:Danni

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

LisaBee1964
on 10/6/11 1:00 pm - OH

YAY for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel it !

I am lovin' life!         
BoiseB
on 10/6/11 2:49 pm - Boise, ID
Thanks for the encouragment and advice everyone!  This site is awesome, not only have I learned a lot, but I feel well supported! 
HW:  407 SW: 357 RNY 7/11/11      
Most Active
Recent Topics