3 weeks post op and still starving

Monique A.
on 10/4/11 3:59 pm
I had my surgery three weeks ago (RnY). I feel like something terrible is happening or that I screwed something up.  I am hungry ALL THE TIME.  I take my protein, don't eat carbs, eat veggies, get my water in (not before for 1.5 hours after a meal),  but right after a meal, I am starving and my tummy is grumbling.  Cannot seem to get full and in the rare ocassions I do fill up, it doesn't last more than an hour or two.  I have lived a lifetime of constant hunger and this was my last hope.  Any suggestions?  Ideas about what is wrong?

Momx4kids
on 10/4/11 4:14 pm, edited 10/4/11 4:17 am - Abbotsford, Canada
I had a feeling like that (hunger) before my surgery and it ended up being an acid reflux issue. Are you on anything like pantoprazole? Might be GERD. Not saying that is the issue but it's just a thought. Are you from the Island or mainland?
Rhonda

Monique A.
on 10/5/11 6:04 am
I am from the island, Campbell River.  I am taking Tecta daily so I wondered if it was acid in the gut as well.  Only thing is that I don't get that full feeling or even satisfied.

Samantha L.
on 10/4/11 4:17 pm - Petaluma, CA
  You are waiting 1.5 hours after a meal to drink?  How are you getting enough fluids in?  A lot of times thirst can feel like hunger.  I don't know what stage diet you are on,  but are you EATING protein rich foods or just taking in protein via shakes.  I have to assume that if you have been cleared for veggies, that you are able to eat at least soft foods now.   Protein rich foods keep us full longer.  Maybe that will help? 
  Also, how often are you eating?  And how much?  If you are only eating an ounce of food at a time, then of course you are going to be hungry.  Eat more often.  I don't mean graze.. I mean eat at regular intervals.  So, like 5 or 6 small meals.  
  Good luck and I hope it gets better for you!  

Monique A.
on 10/5/11 6:12 am
I am eating all foods at this point.  Protein first than veggies. I can easily eat a couple of chicken breasts and then still hungry after without getting a full feeling. If its this bad now, what is it going to be like in six months when my "appetitie" returns?
Onmyweightohappine
ss

on 10/4/11 10:32 pm - Houston, TX
Honestly it's probably head hunger more than anything. I went through the same thing for the first month or two after surgery. Plus when your on all fluids or mushy foods my surgeon said it was very normal to not get that "full" feeling sometimes at first.
And the grumbling might not you being hungry. For myself and I know others, our stomachs become very noisy after surgery digesting our food. At first I always thought I was hungry but majority of the time its my stomach digesting its food letting the world know LOL
 Follow my blog at:
onmyweightohappiness.blogspot.com/                             

immafatgirl
on 10/5/11 12:49 am - KY
I have the same symptoms and i can eat up to 5-6- times a day . although i have to admit i dont get enough fluids in.(not from water).... i think our body and minds are so used to ust dipping in food for so long and so much (anything we want) and now we are out of control. but i know just one thing about it all... IM HUNGRY EVERY DAY , ALL DAY LONG. so you are not alone..
Monique A.
on 10/5/11 6:07 am
halleluia.......I felt so alone.  I can easily eat two chicken breasts and more than a cup of steam veggies wtihout getting that full feeling.  Than all evening I am chasing food or trying to stave off hunger by eating this and that. That full feeling never happens......like I never had the surgery.
NorCalAl
on 10/5/11 1:48 am
Same here. Once in a while I am not hungry, but it doesn't last long. I would say I eat 6 or so 'meals' a day. I have learned over the past five weeks not to overeat, but even after a big meal, say 3 ozs, I'm still hungry.

One of the reasons I got the surgery was the promise of no hunger for up to six months. I was hungry the third day. I've been hungry since.
Monique A.
on 10/5/11 6:10 am
Me too.  After the second week, I have been hungry after EVERY meal.  Its like every other diet I have been on where I feel deprived and hungry.  What the heck does one do?  Maybe the pouch was too big?
Most Active
Recent Topics