I had my first dump(ing)!

Monique A.
on 10/5/11 4:04 pm

So tonight I had my first dumping…..and as twisted as this may sound, I am thrilled. With being hungry all day, I had a huge glass of water about 15 minutes before my dinner than ate 1 1/2 meatballs (low fat). Seconds later, my stomach was in knots and I had an imminent feeling to regergitate. So this is dumping?

That means I do have a pouch and there IS a limit on what and how much I can eat. I know this sounds absolutely crazy but I am relieved. I thought everything was as it was before the surgery and I wouldn't have any control….this shows me I do have limits.  If you haven't read my previous posts, I was struggling for the past week to get full.  This means that I can overfill and this can work for me too!

Kiss

Loveshinesthru
on 10/5/11 4:08 pm - Mesa, AZ
 So happy for you! lol!

HW: 314 SW: 297 CW:166

Monique A.
on 10/6/11 3:14 am
:) 
poet_kelly
on 10/5/11 4:18 pm - OH
No, that's not dumping.

Dumping typically happens, if it happens, when you eat too much sugar or possible too much fat or carbs.  It affects your blood sugar and causes symptoms like rapid heart beat, sweating, dizziness, nausea, stomach pain, sometimes diarrhea and fatigue.

Your meatballs were low fat and I assume they did not have lots of sugar, right?  Stomach pain and feeling like you might throw up indicates that you didn't tolerate the meatballs well, but it was not dumping.  It may be that you ate too fast or too much or didn't chew well enough.  Some people just seem to not tolerate meat so well in the beginning.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

BugdocMom
on 10/5/11 5:07 pm - CA
Yep, I second Kelly's response. Sounds like either meatballs don't agree with you or you ate too fast. It's a miserable feeling, but it's not dumping. I would encourage you to measure your food so you don't eat too much and eat slowly so you don't get this miserable feeling again. I would not encourage you to push your limits this early out just to see if you dump. (I'm not suggesting that is what you did here, just discouraging it if the thought has crossed your mind). People sometimes do that and find out they do not dump then have a tough time resisting unhealthy foods. The fear of dumping is sometimes as useful a tool as actual dumping. And it SHOULD be feared. It IS a wretched, whole body experience.
Momx4kids
on 10/5/11 6:02 pm - Abbotsford, Canada

Dumping for me (even though it has not happened often) makes me feel dizzy and I usually have a narcoleptic moment where I can't hardly seem to stay awake, kind of doppy. I have also had the runs once when I had some food that maybe to high in fat. Your description is what I feel when my food is stuck. Even though I measured and ate slow, chewed well, it still ocasionally happened to me, usually with meat (usually threw up or had foamies).
Rhonda 

Monique A.
on 10/6/11 5:03 am
So it definately sounds like I had food stuck.  Definately something I wouldn't want to repeat so though I tried to chew my food really well, will go back to basics. Definately had foamies though not sure what the heck it was.
Thanks for your help and suggestions folks!

Momx4kids
on 10/6/11 10:20 am - Abbotsford, Canada
Foamies for me is where I feel like I need to throw up but just spit out foam like spit (sometimes throw up foamy spit). That's kind of the best way I can describe it.
Rhonda

Monique A.
on 10/6/11 4:27 pm
yup, sounds like the food was stuck. I had lots of spit pouring out, felt an urgent need to vomit and if I tried to swallow the spit/foam, it made me sicker.  Definately sounds like I had a "stuck".
Krissymk
on 10/6/11 10:47 am
 I dump very easy off anything with fat...sugar itself doesn't bother me at all but I don't really crave it so its not an issue BUT carbs do such as bread products...which I shouldn't be eating anyways even though I stick to whole wheat which my doc approves. Cheese is the worst for me...and I LOVE cheese :( For me it feels like every bit of energy in my body has been wiped out, I can hardly keep my eyes open, feel a little nauseous and dizzy. Its the worse feeling in the world. Every thing has been making me dump the last month...things that never did before so I'm having to switch my whole diet up jsut to find food that doesnt make me sick. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 163 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 248 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 302 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 261 views