Sugery this tuesday so nervous

RainDiva
on 10/9/11 1:21 am
Hi Guys,

I am having surgery this tuesday and I am so so nervous. I read a article online what they dont tell you about gastric bypass and the author was so negative and that she regrets having it done and she named all the bad things and nothing good. I know all the risk and how much effort this is going to be. But the voice in the back of my mind keeps saying you failed at dieting what makes you think you are going to be able to do this despite your wls tool. I am so scared of low blood sugar especially the first two weeks. Did anyone experience low blood sugar and if so what can you do again during the first two weeks to raise blood sugar levels if needed.

I know I am ready for this but just some second thoughts.

I tried to pretend that I already had it done a few times just to pic it, one moment I am like I can handle this and in the next breathe go omg no I can't.

I have a pretty solid support system with many friends and family that had wls but I am still scared.

poet_kelly
on 10/9/11 1:27 am - OH
Well, having WLS is very different than just dieting.  The reason you'll be able to do this even though you failed at dieting is because a very small amount of food will make you feel full.  I'm guessing that didn't happen when you dieted, right?

I did not have any problems with low blood sugar in the first few weeks after surgery.  If you do, though, probably the best think ti do is have some protein shake.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

hstull1013
on 10/9/11 1:38 am - AZ
Good luck to you!  I had mine last week. I felt the same way and started to go over all the possible complications. It does make things scary for you and you start to second guess yourself but you have to remember you are doing this for a reason. There are so many more risk to staying at an unhealthy weight that maybe you won't experience all of the complications at once but it definitely a possibility. That is what I had to tell myself. I was so scared before, crying in fact. I was excited but also nervous because surgery is a big deal. The good thing is it goes by so fast. I feel a bit better each day. The gas pains are annoying but I can endure this. Today I decided to step on the scale and I am already down 6lbs which feels absolutely amazing. Its not going to be easy and so far my biggest struggle is getting enough water and protein in but I promise it is worth it so far. Good luck to you and I will send a prayer your way
~*K J*~
on 10/9/11 1:43 am - MD
Hi surgery buddy!
 ~*KJ* HW 330 Day of Sugery 320

hstull1013
on 10/9/11 2:03 am - AZ
How did your surgery go? How are you feeling?
~*K J*~
on 10/9/11 1:43 am - MD
I had the same repercussions before my surgery this past Tuesday. I think we all do. This is a big change but you and I know this is for the best. I struggle with my fluid intake but besides that I feel awesome! U will do great! And we r here for u!
 ~*KJ* HW 330 Day of Sugery 320

Lileee
on 10/9/11 2:22 am
Awwwww... dont be Nervous hunny!  be happy! Happy!! HAPPY!!!  its gonna be The Best thing Ever!!! just keep Positive Thoughts in your head and remember - We Will Be Waiting For YOU On The Losers Bench!!!  See You There!!!

Start Weight 275 - im 52yrs Old - 5'7"

had my RNY January 10th 2011

275/230!!!/150

Susan_U
on 10/9/11 2:38 am - Ontario, CA
I think I came across that online video once when I was researching RNY. Of course, everyone reacts to surgery differently, but at the time I watched it the woman struck me as something of a loon. Things "they don't tell us?" I was just starting my research and on my own had found out all those things she talks about. And when I went through the Kaiser options class they told us a out them. And when I had my first meeting with my surgeon he & his nurses made sure I knew about them.

Don't be scared or nervous--be happy that you are starting a new life with a wonderful new tool to lose weight. You may or may not experience pain for a time after the surgery. Everyone is different. I was one that didn't have much pain at all after the surgery or when I came home, just some aches. It all depends on how you handle pain.
Jenni_9yrspostop
on 10/9/11 2:40 am
I had RNY done 10 years ago. I have never regretted it for one minute. Blood sugars were not a problem, in face many diabetics are symptom free right after surgery.If your blood sugar drops you have something to get it back up. For us it's mostly protein. Your doc will work with you on that. Don't read the negative articles. Most of us are happy, healthy and have a better life since wls. I understand some get attention from being negative, just like some get attention from being sick or having complications - so they post about it in the hopes of getting someone to comment and give them the attention they need. Don't fall into this. Read the responses you find helpful, throw away the rest. I was so ready and have had an easy time of it. No complications, no regrets, no problems and I'm still having WOW moments even this far out. Hang in there - you are lucky with the support system you have. This is an amazing journey. Enjoy it.
Jen 10 yrs postop
ecshumway
on 10/9/11 4:47 am - NY
I think everyone questions themselves, I know I did right up until the day of the surgery. I did tons of research, pros and cons but in the end I had to do what was best for me. I came out of the hospital off of 4 meds right away and now after 7 weeks my sugars are the lowest they have been in years. I am down over 35 pounds in 7 weeks. Yes I have bad days especially at first trying to get my fluids and protein in but as your body heals you will feel better and better. Good Luck with the surgery.

Most Active
Recent Topics