Medication Question

asiaisacontinent
on 10/20/11 1:34 pm - MI
OKay So I know this has probably been asked before but I tried searching and couldn't find anything. How long are we supposed to grind up pills for?

Also, do we malabsorb our pills too? I'm nervous about them not being as effective.
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board 

poet_kelly
on 10/20/11 1:51 pm - OH
I never ground up any pills.  Different docs recommend different things.  The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery says it's OK to swallow  pills whole as soon as we can tolerate it.  For me, I was swallowing pills about 12 hours after my surgery and tolerated them just fine.

It is possible that we may malabsorb some pills to some degree.  It's usually recommended that we not take extended release meds before we are less likely to absorb those.  With regard to other meds, talk to your doc if you feel they aren't working quite as well as they should.  The dose may need adjusted.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

asiaisacontinent
on 10/20/11 3:10 pm - MI
Thanks Kelly!
Join us on the
Lightweights Board 

Ladytazz
on 10/20/11 2:01 pm
I was never told to grind up pills or use liquids or chewables.  They were giving me pills in the hospital.  One thing I did notice is I can't take enteric coated pills any more.  I took some laxative pills that were coated and didn't do a thing.  Same thing when I tried some Benidryl tablets that were coated.  I accidently bought some B complex pills and magnesium oxide pills and found out they were coated so I had to change them.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

asiaisacontinent
on 10/20/11 3:10 pm - MI
It's so crazy how everyone gets such different directions. Everything in the hospital I got was liquid or crushed up and I know they told me to crush them up after the hospital but I can't remember how long!! :(
Join us on the
Lightweights Board 

Dave Chambers
on 10/20/11 2:12 pm - Mira Loma, CA
Most medications are absorbed well.  You'll need sublingual B12, not B12 pilled supplements.  I posted a link for a chart about absorption rate comparisons of antidepressants, anti psychotic drugs, and sedatives earlier today. There are minor malsaborption with a some of these, more malabsorption of antipsychotic drugs, according to this chart. PM me if you need the link. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

asiaisacontinent
on 10/20/11 3:09 pm - MI
The link to that would be wonderful because I'm actually asking about my anxiety med Paxil.
Join us on the
Lightweights Board 

asiaisacontinent
on 10/20/11 3:14 pm - MI
I found the link! thanks!
Join us on the
Lightweights Board 

ecshumway
on 10/20/11 7:56 pm - NY
Could you post that link Dave? Thanks

Dave Chambers
on 10/20/11 11:18 pm - Mira Loma, CA

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Most Active
Recent Topics