Ok give me the truth.

mikjul1
on 11/7/11 10:37 am - bel air, MD
I am nervious that there is alot of pain involved with this surgery. Just can not wait til it is done. My buddy had it done and said it is miserable for about 3 or 4 days.
(deactivated member)
on 11/7/11 10:44 am - Front Royal, VA
RNY on 08/29/11 with

That's kinda like asking "how does labor feel?" LOL  you are gonna get a ton of answers that are different.  Everyone has a different pain threshold, some people experience lots of pain, some not that much at all, just discomfort.

For me - the first night I was miserable but so drugged up from the anesthesia and morphine drip that I couldn't really tell you .. the next 2 days I was sore, achy, tired and just groggy.  It gets better every day, they give you pain meds if you need them, but lots of people are off those after a day or two anyways.  The pain is very manageable and the nurses are great about giving you medicine when you need it.

emt_amy
on 11/7/11 10:46 am - MN
Dont worry, you will be sore but not uncomfortable. When I had mine I was on morphine and a fentanyl patch. The sooner you get up and walk the better you will feel. I was sore for a good week or so but nothing I couldn't work thru. Kinda like the day after an intense ab workout.

raesan
on 11/7/11 10:47 am - WI
OK, THIS IS MAJOR SURGERY, NOT A WALK IN THE PARK. HOWEVER MY PAIN WAS CONTROLLED WITH DRUGS WHILE I WAS IN BED. THE WALKING IN THE HOSPITAL WAS UNCOMFORTABLE, NOT UNBEARABLE. I HAD LIQUID PAIN RELEIF WHEN I WAS HOME.. I'M THREE MONTHS OUT AND WOULD NOT HESITATE TO DO IT AGAIN. GET ON WITH IT AND GOOD LUCK.
dori M.
on 11/7/11 11:34 am - MD
In my experience the first day i was in pain, kept hitting the morphine drip. Day 2 I barely pushed the button so the unhooked it and just gave me a shot of pain meds in my IV. When I got home I didn't use pain meds at all. It felt like someone kicked me in the stomach (was sore but not really pain). Today I am 2wks post op and I am back to my normal self.
flyingwoman
on 11/7/11 11:53 am
 The most pain I had came from back pain from having to sleep in the hospital bed and on my back. The first 3 or four days were not party time, but they weren't that bad either. Plus you will go home with a scrip for pain meds.

Starting BMI 69 w comorbidities | 55 of the weight lost above was pre-op.    
mikjul1
on 11/7/11 12:07 pm - bel air, MD
Thanks all.
on 11/7/11 12:21 pm - OR
I didnt use any pain killers.. they make me ill. And it was still tolerable, I had no issues walking or anything.
It felt to me like I did WAY too many sit ups and then was hunched over for a while.

gabbyabby
on 11/7/11 12:42 pm
 Pain, nope unless I sneezed, then OUCH!  Other than that I was groggy, and just too exhausted to feel anything else besides sleepy.  IT gets better and 2.5 months out i can say it is totally worth it so far.  
Good Luck

nana2boys
on 11/7/11 12:55 pm
Sorry, I had very little pain.  Used pain med once in hospital and once when I got home after a hour and half drive.  I was sore and did have gas pain, but really was not that bad.  I do have a high pain tolerance though.  I also had a hiatal hernia repair and this was also a revision.

Most Active
Recent Topics