Carbohydrates are evil!

Morgaine
on 11/7/11 11:35 pm - MA
This past Saturday I moved onto Stage 4.  I got the okay to eat whole fruits and veggies, salad and the nutrition said to try adding in some crackers and/or toast but no doughy breads.

Thrilled by the thought of actually consuming something crunchy, I promptly tried out crackers and they went down like a breeze. BUT I have noticed that ever since I re-introduced carbs into my diet, I've started experiencing cravings again and those cravings are usually centered around more carbs and sugary foods.

Anyone else ever experience this?  I have not given in, especially since the damned scale finally moved after a three week stall.  No way I am risking that minor victory!!  So, though I've really only had maybe 2 servings of crackers since Saturday, I think I am going to go on a hiatus.

on 11/7/11 11:38 pm - OR
yup, I can't do them. I crave them if I have even a couple! So I just don't torture myself with them anymore!  Good Luck!

murdockt
on 11/7/11 11:41 pm - Redmond, OR
I have experienced the same reaction. Any amount of carb consumption and I begin to crave more carbs. Maybe some can have carbs, but not me. Dr. Oz, had a show about carbs and it was called," are carbs more addictive than heroin?" The findingss were that they are!
kellyl1202
on 11/8/11 12:48 am
Yes! I definitely have to stay away from simple carbs such as crackers... don't seem to have the craving if I have a slice of whole wheat toast though.
Eliza55
on 11/8/11 1:50 am - PA

I have the same response as everyone else.  Even those Bariatric Advantage Calcium chewy bites make me crave carbs. 

Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

poet_kelly
on 11/8/11 2:31 am - OH
Carbs make me crave more carbs too.  I don't think that means they are evil, though.  Our bodies need some carbs, although we don't need the refined carbs in crackers.  There is nothing wrong with eating crackers, though, in moderation.  I have a hard time sticking to moderation though so I usually avoid crackers.  But that doesn't make them evil.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cleopatra_Nik
on 11/8/11 3:14 am, edited 11/8/11 3:14 am - Baltimore, MD
Food isn't evil. Yes, I know it's just a term, but the thought process behind it is TOXIC. So let me repeat: food is not evil. It's just food. Some of it is good for you, some not so much. But it isn't evil or "bad." Food decisions? Well that's another matter altogether.

Yes, carbs beget carbs. I did an educational series on carbs on my blog, Bariatric Foodie, if you'd like to learn more about how carbs work, why some are good for you and why we ALL need them!

http://bariatricfoodie.blogspot.com/2011/03/bf-basics-carb-c onfusion.html

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

Patti1md
on 11/8/11 3:28 am
What about low carb wheat wraps?   I tried that with turkey, cheese, mustard and romaine lettuce. 

seattledeb
on 11/8/11 3:50 am
Carbs aren't evil.. Carbs are just quickly digestible. They start digesting as soon as they hit your mouth. That's why they are so great when your blood sugar is low. It's also why they are so easy to eat.
Our bodies needs some carbs to survive. You've found out you can hoover down some crackers. I can hoover down cheetos. So I live mostly in a cheetos-free world.
I eat carbs every day though..milk, fruit, and veggies.
Deb T.

christinalee
on 11/8/11 4:00 am - At Home in, NH
Actually, I don't believe carbs are evil. Certainly there are things that are evil in our world (Charles Manson for instance), but carbs? No, not really. Refined carbs -- carbs that have been processed and pulverized into barely discernable food types, such as packaged box foods, things that have eternity for a shelf-life, things with lists of ingredients that begin with enriched flour, etc -- are probably not very wise choices for anyone attempting to lose weight, surgery or not. But carbs such as fruit, vegetables, whole grains are life-sustaining foods.
Plus your colon's function will probably improve too!

Yes, of course I believe we need to be protein forward always, but is there anything intrinsically wrong with limited portions of vegetables, fruits and whole grains? And that's rhetorical, because I know that there are some very fine folk who are any-carb phobic, and more power to them. Howevewr any eating plan I've ever been on (that supports a healthy long-term approach) allows simple and complex carbs (heck even Atkins does after the induction phase).

So all I'm saying is (and not very well obviously) carbs in crackers such as Ritz and saltines are refined carbs at their worst. So why not, if you want to eat crackers or bread (in limited quantities naturally) go for whole-wheat crackers (Dare Grainsfirst Whole grain crackers or Ak-Mak crackers, or the hundreds of breads, tortillas and pitas made with whole wheat, flax, oat bran, etc). Just say NO to refined carbs and get your love on with limited whole grains/whole wheat/unprocessed and unrefined carbohydrates. Your brain (plus that colon) may just love you right back!

"Just keep swimming." ~ Dorrie

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 366 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 284 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 244 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 309 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 139 views