Kidney problems are they related to my surgery??

Teresa L.
on 11/14/11 3:24 am - Hamilton, Canada
I am about 9 1/2 months post-op and have been by all accounts doing quite well.  That is until about 3 weeks ago when I started having problems with my kidneys.  I have been to the ER 3 times in less than a week, and honestly could have gone again in the last couple of days.  I have had both and ultra sound and an X-ray both coming back ok, after the first visit I was only given pain meds, the next day for visit #2 I was given anti-biotics, to be taken twice a day.  With 3 pills left I went back to the ER the pain starting again, to find that now I definately had a kidney infection and the for scrip obviously not working so another was written.  I finished that script on Tuesday of last week and was good until this past Friday when it started again.  I have my 9 month check-up tomorrow, and someone brought to my attention that this could be being caused by my increased protein consumption.  Could this be true?? Has anyone else had a similar problem?? Wondering what the heck is going on??

poet_kelly
on 11/14/11 3:33 am - OH
Unless you had kidney problems before surgery, you're probably not getting so much protein that it would hurt your kidneys.  How many grams do you get in a typical day?  What was your protein level last time you had labs?

Are you getting enough fluids?

Sounds like something to talk to your surgeon tomorrow.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

lilbear412
on 11/14/11 5:32 am - MN
 I am not sure we could actually get to much protein in given the restriction we have...i am going to have to go out on a limb and say you probably are not drinking enough or the right kinds of things..and yes i have had prior kidney problems and have a 12 in scar on my side to prove it.  I had a vein wrapped around my ureter near my kidney so was not getting the fluids i needed thus i had big kidney stones and the vein was caterized and now i actually go to the bathroom more than once or twice a day.  I really think we should all drink a glass of cranberry juice ( i don't and probably should) a  day and we should NOT drink soda becaue thats something that lots of soda will do is cause kidney stones.  Having them before and the problems has motivated me to try to drink as much as possible a day...noooo soda but i drink tea and other fluids.

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

DivineMs.M
on 11/15/11 9:37 am
I have NO scientific evidence so this is wild SPECULATION.  I think the protien drinks are hard on my kidneys/  I had 1 kidney infection, and two urinary tract infections.....
I PERSONALLY think that the protien shakes were part of the problem. I discontinued the shakes and substututed two 14 oz greek yogurts that had 14 gms of protien instead of the 28 gm protien shake.
I have not had a kidney infection since.
asiaisacontinent
on 11/16/11 10:38 am - MI
I got kidney stones post-op and my surgeon & PCP attributed it to my surgery.
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board 

Most Active
Recent Topics