Tricare question

kesa85
on 12/11/11 12:06 am - LA
RNY on 07/31/12
I was wondering who has Tricare as insurance and with what BMI u got apprpoved? I am Tricare south and have a BMI 35.7 with PCOS and prob. sleep apnea . In family history stroke and heartattack which i dont know if that is important. I havent found anyone so far who had a low BMI and got approved so would be nice to hear that somebody did :-)
melody1967
on 12/11/11 12:11 am - FL
I have Tricare also.  My BMI was 40.2 and I had to be 100lbs over my ideal body weight with a Co-Morbid.  Tricare goes by the Metropolitian Life Table.  I believe now they have new guidelines that you may want to call Tricare about.  I had my Lap RNY on 10-3-2011.  I hope this helps!

Melody
lilbear412
on 12/11/11 12:16 am - MN
 TRICARE will cost share any of the following open or laparoscopic bariatric surgical procedures:
  • Roux-en-Y gastric bypass
  • Vertical banded gastroplasty
  • Gastroplasty (stomach stapling)
  • Adjustable gastric banding (i.e., adjustable LAP-BAND®)

If you meet all of the following conditions:

1. You're at least 18 years old or you provide documentation of completion of bone growth.
  2. You were unsuccessful with non-surgical medical treatments for obesity. Your medical records must show your failed attempts.
    • Diet programs, such as Weigh****chers®* and Jenny Craig*, are acceptable methods of dietary management, as long as there's medical documentation of participation and monthly clinical visits with your doctor. *These programs aren't covered by TRICARE.
    • Physician-supervised programs made-up of only weight-loss medication management, don't meet this requirement.
  3. You have proof of one of the following: 
    • body-mass index greater than or equal to 40 kilograms per meter squared (kg/m2); or
    • A body-mass index of 35-39.9 kg/m2 with one clinically significant comorbidity, including but not limited to, cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes mellitus, obstructive sleep apnea, Pickwickian syndrome, hypertension, coronary artery disease, obesity-related cardiomyopathy, or pulmonary hypertension.

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

(deactivated member)
on 12/11/11 12:39 am - Front Royal, VA
RNY on 08/29/11 with

I have tricare and was approved after jumping through hoops, however my BMI was 43 at the time of surgery, but it was actually 39 when I started the process 8 months prior to surgery.  I had my RNY in August of this year. I started the approval process in January of this year.

richarddavis196
on 12/11/11 12:53 am - VA
I have tricare standard and aetna. I was approved very esily with a 45 bmi, cpcp, high blood pressure, cholesterol and triglicrides. /Surgery was 10-11-11 and doing great!

Good luck

kesa85
on 12/11/11 12:59 am - LA
RNY on 07/31/12
Thank you all :-) I have read the requirements from Tricare and I would qualfiy but I dont know if thats doesnt mean i will get approved for sure lol They might find something  and say no lol
Oxford Comma Hag
on 12/11/11 2:41 am
South, West, or North, TRICARE requirements are all the same. They have recently institued a six month supervsed weight loss requirement.  (I am not trying to rain on your parade).   So, make sure every time you go to the doctor, they record your weight. Also definitely have your doc send you for a sleep study. Documenting everything now will make your approval process so much easier.
kesa85
on 12/11/11 2:46 am - LA
RNY on 07/31/12
Thx I have been doing weigh****chers for 6 months Jaunuary - June  have and did a weight loss class here on post in July so that should help I hope.
Day_dream_believer
on 12/11/11 10:45 pm
Make sure youhave documentation of  Weigh****chers.  Just make a copy of your weigh in book.  They can also do a computer print out of of all the weigh ins.

Kaysmommy
on 12/11/11 6:17 am - Silver City, NM
I got approved at 38BMI and comobity with PCOS.  
Most Active
Recent Topics