Pureed Food

sprkl.plnty
on 12/23/11 3:45 am - WA
RNY on 01/13/12
I am about to have surgery--my date is Friday the 13th in January! I am prepared but one of the things that worries me is the pureed food stage. It sounds gross, especially pureed meat. Yuck. What are some of the things all of you have eaten in this stage that are not too yucky? Thanks for any suggestions!
c5cruiser
on 12/23/11 3:54 am, edited 12/23/11 3:59 am - CA
After my surgery I didn't want anything at all. Once I started eating the food wasn't as bad as the amount difference from before the surgery to aftewards.Getting use to the amount was a biggie (and still is) for me.
mikjul1
on 12/23/11 3:59 am - bel air, MD
I just chew it up real good my puree are my pearley whites :) my drs. office said it was ok as long as I do not swallow anything un chewed so I am real careful but I really do not eat alot more protein shakes then anything.
(deactivated member)
on 12/23/11 4:12 am
Hi, during that stage I just mashed my food real good with a fork (mostly ate fish) and made sure I chewed it real good before swallowing.
sprkl.plnty
on 12/23/11 4:58 am - WA
RNY on 01/13/12
Thanks everyone. I'm thinking maybe a lot of yogurt! Is cottage cheese ok at this stage? My doctor doesn't want me to be on protein shakes for very long.
(deactivated member)
on 12/23/11 5:20 am
Yes, cottage cheese and yogurt (without the fruit chunks and I would recommend the diabetes control Dannon yogurt so you don't get dumping from too much sugar) are fine. That's mostly what I ate during that stage, yogurt, fish (not salmon could not swallow) and cottage cheese.  Good luck!
sprkl.plnty
on 12/23/11 5:39 am - WA
RNY on 01/13/12
Thanks so much--that was very helpful!
xtine
on 12/23/11 10:31 am - San Jose, CA
 black beans pureed with a wedge oh laughing cow cheese and mild salsa  warmed up with a tiny bit of low fat cheddar  that was my staple!

HW: 295 / SW: 273 / CW: 169.4 / GW: 140 / Dream Goal: 120
Height: 5'3.5"  -  *22lbs of my weightloss was lost pre-surgery.

sprkl.plnty
on 1/5/12 3:44 am - WA
RNY on 01/13/12
Excellent idea!
lilbear412
on 12/23/11 7:38 am - MN
 i used to take meat and cook it in the slow cooker with ff cream of chicken soup,ff sour cream and lipton onion soup mix.  the chicken gets really tender and then use some of the "gravy" when you puree it...

I also used to do some pork chops in a ff crm of mushroom gravy and put that in a crock pot and slow cook it..there again a few bites of meat with some gravy purees up good..

i would do scrambled eggs (not pureed) with cheese chewed iup good...a little baked potato with greek yogurt and cheese.  Ham or turkey or chicken  pureed up with some light mayo and maybe a bit of cheese.  refried beans warmed up with some cheese and greek yogurt or sour cream on top of it was one of my favs...  This is the stage you can start cookign for the family and puree it or make sure you chew it really good.  

good l uck on your surgery.

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 212 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 257 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 304 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 266 views