for not doing DS

sarah_durso
on 12/23/11 10:16 am
 I'm planning on getting RNY in the next few months. I have to to the 6 months of dieting for my insuranxe first.   I've been getting a lot of xomments from people saying DS is so muxh better than RNY . So my question is, are you happy with your RNY ? Do you wish you had done DS ? 
sarah_durso
on 12/23/11 10:18 am
 Sorry, my title was cut off It said getting slack for not doing DS .
redrider
on 12/23/11 10:22 am
Laparoscopic RNY was very easy for me at age 46. I've lost 163 pounds and still losing. Would do it again in a second!
>>>RedRider                     
Kathy M.
on 12/23/11 10:28 am - summershade, KY
I had my RNY on Aug 16-2011 and I love it don't get hungry and done losted  52 pounds in 4 months just wish I done it sooner I'm 43 just do your reseacher and do what best for you  plus ain't had no problems

Kathy M

(deactivated member)
on 12/23/11 10:30 am
 I had laproscopic RNY and love it. I have not had any trouble at all. I was able to get right up after recovery and start walking around. I have six tiny scars on my tummy. I am losing weight consistantly. And would do it again in a second. I just so wish I would have done this years ago. 
Good Luck with whatever choice you make. 
BBall58
on 12/23/11 10:30 am - MD
I had Laparoscopic RNY at age 53 three months ago.  I've lost 62 pounds and still losing.  My only regrat is I waited so long to do it.  Best of luck to you.
Sharyn S.
on 12/23/11 10:35 am - Bastrop, TX
RNY on 08/19/04 with
I am 7+ years post-op and I am very happy with my weight loss.  I have had some regain and deal with reactive hypoglycemia.  It has gotten better over the last few years, but it can still bring me to my knees.

When I had my RNY, I was about to lose my job and insurance.  I did not have the necessary time to fight an appeal.  And, I was in a very punitive stage and felt I needed to be punished for my lifetime of gluttony.

If I knew then what I know now, I absolutely wound have had the DS.  The stats show that it offers a greater loss of excess weight, better long term maintenance, better cure rate for diabetes, a more normal post-op eating pattern, and, most importantly, no reactive hypoglycemia.

I choose not to regret having RNY, but if I could get a do over, I would have the DS.

Sharyn, RN

RIP, MOM ~ 5/31/1944 - 5/11/2010
RIP, DADDY ~ 9/2/1934 - 1/25/2012

Ladytazz
on 12/23/11 10:37 am
The stats are better for losing weight and keeping it off with the DS, as well as resolution of comorbidites and the post op eating style is a lot better.
Are there downfalls?  Yes, with every surgery there are good and bad.  The problems with the DS are mainly the fact that the malabsorption is greater therefore so is the need to supplement.  It can be very dangerous, even deadly if you aren't diligent about it.  It can also be a expensive to buy the supplements, as well as the extra protein that is needed and probiotics are strongly recommended.  It is also imperative that you are stable with your insurance because labs are very important, preferably every 6 months to stay on top of things.
Another potential problem is that some can become sensitive to white carbs or other foods, causing potent gas and possible diarrhea.  This can happen with the RNY, too, but maybe not to as great of an extent.
You get to eat a lot of meat and fat as you malabsorb them to a great degree, but simple carbs like sugar are absorbed 100% no matter what surgery you have.
Most people who have had the DS are very happy and wouldn't trade things for anything.  It is more difficult to find a surgeon, too, because many are nervous about the potential for problems with the malabsorption.  
Your best bet is to see if you can find a surgeon that does all kinds of WLS and talk with them.  Research as much as you can.  Be informed as much as you can.  Because the DS isn't done as often it is hard to find doctors who are familiar with it so you have to be able to explain the difference between the DS and the RNY because most doctors just assume that all WLS are RNYs.
As far as if I am happy with my surgery?  I guess I would say I am neither happy or unhappy.  It just is.  It doesn't really interfere with my life at this point.  I don't get sick, I am happy that I am satisfied with smaller amounts of food but I still have to watch what I eat.  I can't eat sugar because I dump but that's no big deal since I already decided that sugar wasn't conducive to my health.  I also avoid gluten but I would be doing that ( or should be doing that) no matter what surgery I had, or even if I didn't  have surgery, because I feel better then I don't eat it.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Cleopatra_Nik
on 12/23/11 10:40 am - Baltimore, MD
I doubt you'll find many folks on any surgery board who'll admit to regretting their particular surgery, but maybe there is an honest person among us. I've been in this community four years and WLS group dynamics just don't allow for that level of brutal honesty.

Personally, I had no idea about the DS when I had surgery. Do I wish I'd gotten it? Mmmmm...no. I needed the particular side effects RNY has given me. I eat too much fat, sugar or just generally icky food choices and my system ***** slaps me. I respond well to this. I don't do well with "you shouldn't" rather I respond well to "I can't."

Don't let peer pressure get to you. Only you know which surgery is best for you. I'd empower you to look at your food issues and see which surgery can potentially help you overcome those issues (or at least manage them). If it's helpful I know the RNY is best for me because both the AMOUNT and TYPE of foods I was eating were horrible. Now healthy food is the only food that doesn't make me ill in decent quantities. I simply cannot eat crap anymore.

For others it was only a matter of the amount, which might call for having a surgery that was only restrictive.

What I would discourage you from doing is picking a surgery based on the amount of time it takes people to get to goal. Look at the surgery, the long-term eating of post-ops, long-term self-care (level of vitamins, etc.), rate of deficiencies or other problems that develop post-op (for instance, a fair number of RNYers develop reactive hypoglycemia). THOSE are valid factors to look at.

Good luck on your decision.
jspurple
on 12/23/11 10:58 am - fairburn, GA
VSG on 04/11/12
Well said!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 268 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 280 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?