what should i expect?

way2kay
on 12/27/11 6:10 am - Crosby, TX
 i have not been able to get any solid food to stay down since thursday (i'm one month out)...i don't think food is geting to my pouch, because i can feel it in my throat/esophagus...i'm chewing so much my jaw hurts, & i've been timing bites, 3 minutes in between...i don't kno what i'm doing wrong...

i called the surgeon & they want me to come in first thing in the morning (they wanted me to come in this afternoon, but i couldn't get there today)...i'm just wondering what to expect...
Kay

Friendship is born at the moment when one person says to another "What! You too?  I thought I was the only one!!"           - C.S. Lewis    
poet_kelly
on 12/27/11 6:36 am - OH
There is no reason the food would not get into your pouch.  However, you may have a stricture, in which case the food won't get out of the pouch.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

mandajolyn
on 12/27/11 6:38 am - Tallahassee, FL
Sounds like a stricture. I had one at 2 months out. the outlet of the pouch when healing, heals to tightly keeping solid foods from passing.
They will probably want to do an upper endoscopy which is done under twilight sedation and you won't be awake for it. Other than a bit of a sore throat, I don't remember any of it and there were no ill effects. If it is a stricture they will dilate it which opens the stoma, allowing foods to pass.
It was a simple procedure that I was only in the hospital for a few hours and it made a world of difference and allowed me to eat without any issues!
Hope it all goes well and you're able to eat and keep foods down again! 
"Be present for your journey, get to know who you really are and then be your authentic self with NO apologies"
You can follow my journey at mandaschange.blogspot.com
pregnancy calendar

UK_Longhorn
on 12/27/11 5:20 pm
Thanks for this.  I kept seeing everyone throwing around the term stricture, but I didn't really know what it was or how they fix it!  Thanks for sharing.

Most Active
Recent Topics