CPAP

mikjul1
on 1/5/12 5:37 am - bel air, MD
Did anyone else have a problem with their cpap after RNY I used mine and it hurts my pouch I think air is getting in my pouch when I sleep when I do not use it I am fine so I have not used it since the 2nd week  post op. Now 5 weeks out.
myminime
on 1/5/12 5:40 am - Eugene, OR
I ditched my CPAP so fast, it didn't even know what hit it

That said, I was told to work with my sleep doctor and CPAP therapist to look at lowering my pressure. I didn't end up needing to since my pressure is pretty low, but they told my husband that if he decided to have surgery, he'd need to lower his because at a higher pressure it can hurt the pouch.

Fortunately for me, my massive snoring has gone away and I'm sleeping better! It's amazing what 60 pounds off your frame can do.

I hope you figure yours out soon!
HW:  255  SW:  225.7  CW:  156.3

glzgowlass
on 1/5/12 5:55 am - VA
RNY on 09/14/11 with
I had the same problem and ditched mine.  I seem to feel allright although I think I still have milder sleep apnea but it doens't affect me so badly.  I figured I would get another sleep study done at the six month mark and see where I am at that point.  (Presumably I won't need to go back on it -even at the lower level. 

I don't know about it hurting the pouch but my mouth would open and then when I put the chin strap on I ended up with a dry nose and the feeling that I couldn't breath properly with it.  I tried it without for a few days and felt fine so I just didn't bother after that.

HW: 218, SW: 204, CW: 139 GW: 112-119

Rachelq
on 1/5/12 6:28 am - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
It was strange, but almost immediately after surgery, I stopped using it and haven't needed it since. See your doctor right away, it might mean your are getting too much air pressure and that's not good for the old pouch.

Wishing you well!
Dale W.
on 1/5/12 6:54 am - Canonsburg, PA
I too got rid of mine within days of getting home from surgery.  It just didn't feel right for some reason.  Yes, that's anecdotal and not real advice.  LOL  I couldn't tell you if the apnea is gone or not.  But I don't nod off during the day any ore and that was always one of the markers I used to tell me how compliant I was with my cpap. 

Rachelq
on 1/5/12 7:03 am - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
Just for clarification. My WLS after care doctor elected not to put me on it because I wasn't showing any signs of apnea during my post op hospital stay (I was originally diagnosed with moderate apnea). My husband watch me like a hawk for the first week I was home...not one snore or breathing lapse!

Truth be told I kind of miss the white noise though!

prazhym
on 1/5/12 8:10 am
I too ditched mine immediately, but I do still snore.
My pcp said to wait until I'm a year or so out before having another
sleep study.  At least until the weight loss slows so the sleep study
will be accurate for my new weight.

owlisn
on 1/5/12 8:40 am - NC
I fessed up to my MD that I ditched the CPAP right after surgery and he was fine with that.  I woke with a headache for 2 days in a row so I gave it one last shot last night. That was not the cause, so I am done with that stupid thing!
Allison

qnmimi
on 1/5/12 9:10 am - Cottage Grove, MN
That darn thing never stays on all night! I think I probably need a new sleep study too...the pressure seems set too high, and now it blows too hard. I wonder now that I'm closer to goal if I really need it.

cece1971
on 1/5/12 9:45 am - Lancaster, PA
i didn't ditcd mine, but had issues with it..my mouth would blow open.  few months after surgery,  i had another sleep study done, and i no longer have sleep apnea.  i also no longer have diabetes, high blood pressure or pulmonary hypertension...