fructose corn syrup and caffeine????

imma_always_b_me
on 1/10/12 5:37 am - MD
I drank a v8 splash before reading the lable(shame on me) and it has fcs in it i didnt dump or anything, now I know we shouldnt have these things but is it a medical reason why or nutritional reason???

"Its not how you start, it's how you finish"
Keeves
on 1/10/12 6:02 am - Elizabeth, NJ
I'll take take your word for it that it is listed in the ingredients, but I'm guessing there's not enough of it to make a difference. How far down on the list was it?

imma_always_b_me
on 1/10/12 6:11 am, edited 1/10/12 6:12 am - MD

fructose corn syrup was the second ingredient

poet_kelly
on 1/10/12 6:31 am - OH
Because lots of sugar has lots of calories and won't help you lose weight.  It might also cause dumping or make your blood sugar spike, then crash.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

imma_always_b_me
on 1/10/12 6:37 am - MD
Thanks kelly thats where i was confused i did look at the sugars and it had 15 (my nut says 16 is the max) but then when i actually looked ath the ingredients i was like oops. its an isolated incident so iguess i am good

Kat Kat
on 1/10/12 7:06 am, edited 1/10/12 7:28 am - AZ
 Hi Imma,

I had my surgery at Johns Hopkins as well. My Surgeon, Dr Magnuson, is the director of their bariatric department, so we're kind of like sisters in surgery now.

I know all this can be a little daunting, but try to familiarize yourself with the book they gave you pre-op. It can also be found on their website if you're away from home.

Under "Getting Ready for Surgery" Step 5, it explains Sugar which I'll paste as a reminder.

Best Wishes for Success!

Kat 

Step 5: Read food labels.

Begin by identifying the amount of sugar, fat and protein in a particular food.

Sugar

For patients with Gastric Bypass, foods that are high in sugar may cause symptoms of flushing, dizziness, weakness, headache, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal discomfort known as Dumping Syndrome.  These foods can also slow down the rate of weight loss and may even cause weight re-gain. 

Avoid high sugar foods such as sweets, candy, fruit drinks and sodas.

Do not eat foods that contain sugar in the first 3 ingredients on the food label.

Aim for no more than 15 grams of "sugars" per serving of food at one sitting.

imma_always_b_me
on 1/10/12 8:16 am - MD
Yes we are surgery sisters:) i didnt have my packet with me but i knew v-8= veggies and got tricked...

Keeves
on 1/10/12 7:43 am - Elizabeth, NJ
Wow. Fifteen grams of sugar!

#$%^&#$ marketers!!! They know that V8 is famous for their vegetable juice, so they figure they can slap the name on some junk food and make a few bucks. Grrrr......

We should ALL take this as a lesson in reading our labels!

Better late than never. Congrats on reading it before you got to the second bottle of it!

imma_always_b_me
on 1/10/12 8:17 am - MD
yes they totally tricked me cause that was my first thought v-8 veggies. definitely a lesson learned

Most Active
Recent Topics