Sugar substitue????

imma_always_b_me
on 1/11/12 9:41 am - MD
what are your preferences and why? I used splenda but it left a weird after taste, i just bought truvia so imma give it a try.

"Its not how you start, it's how you finish"
virvin
on 1/11/12 9:43 am - CO

I prefer Truvia.  It doesn't leave a funny taste in my mouth and it dissolves a bit easier than most other sweeteners.

HW - 325           SW - 310          GW - 200/190           CW - 203 - May 5, 2012

parrothead516
on 1/11/12 10:01 am - FL
Never heard of Truvia. Will have to give it a try.
Scott

exohexoh
on 1/11/12 10:01 am - West Chester, PA
 i like splenda because apparently i'm one of the lucky ones who doesn't experience the after taste. 

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

TysCandi
on 1/11/12 10:26 am
Personally I fell in love with Stevia...It is quite expensive compared to other sweetners but I can use one pack about three times....and there is no after taste...

HW: 326  SW: 312  GW:140

Blondie76
on 1/11/12 11:42 am - AL
NuNaturals Stevia is the best if you ask me. Trivia, depends on what you put it in. Xylitol is good and good for you but not everyone can tolerate it. I stick as much as I can to stevia but the hubs prefers splenda so I buy both.
(deactivated member)
on 1/11/12 2:41 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
I try to avoid the artificial sweetners, due to the horrible gas they give me, but do like to sweeten a cup of tea or for my greek yoghurt creations. That's why I use "Stevia in the Raw" or "Pure Via". Read the labels; I found one that is mixed with a sugar alcohol!! EGAD!
rbednarski
on 1/11/12 9:55 pm
RNY on 04/23/10 with
I like and use erythritol.  Although it is a sugar alcohol Ilve never had any of the digestive issues that have occurred with other sugar alcohols like Maltitol.

Highest ever: 390    Weight at 1st appt.: 365   Weight at surgery: 346

(deactivated member)
on 1/12/12 1:08 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
Boy are you lucky!  I could be a source of a Cold War Secret Weapon when I use any of the sugar alcohols!
rbednarski
on 1/12/12 1:59 pm, edited 1/12/12 1:59 pm
RNY on 04/23/10 with
On January 12, 2012 at 9:08 PM Pacific Time, Lynn N wrote: Boy are you lucky!  I could be a source of a Cold War Secret Weapon when I use any of the sugar alcohols!

So you have used erythritol and had a problem with it?  I am surprised.  You are the first person I've met who has had a problem with it.

From wikipedia:

Erythritol and human digestion

In the body, most of the erythritol is absorbed into the bloodstream in the small intestine, and then for the most part excreted unchanged in the urine. About 10% enters the colon.[5] Because 90% of erythritol is absorbed before it enters the large intestine, it does not normally cause laxative effects, as are often experienced after consumption of other sugar alcohols (such as xylitol and maltitol).[6][edit] Side effects

Doses over 50g (my note:  That is almost 2 oz., more than yi would ever ingest at one time) can cause a significant increase in nausea and borborygmi,[4] and (rarely) erythritol can cause allergic urticaria.[7]

In general, erythritol is free of side-effects in regular use. Erythritol, when compared with other sugar alcohols, is also much more difficult for intestinal bacteria to digest, so it is less likely to cause gas or bloating than other polyols,[8] such as maltitol, sorbitol, or lactitol.

Highest ever: 390    Weight at 1st appt.: 365   Weight at surgery: 346

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 384 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 357 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 321 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 140 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 3 replies · 110 views