Today was supposed to be my surgery day

Cecilia W.
on 1/18/12 1:55 am - Northport, AL
RNY on 02/06/12
Hey everyone

I haven't been on here in about a week, because I have been so mad, I had to calm down a little before I told y'all what happened. I am going to try and not get emotional about it, but it still gets me even a week later.

Last week, at this time, I was the happiest woman in the world. I had my surgery date, and was going to my pre op visit with my surgeon and nutrtion class and testing. I did all that, got the stuff I needed  for bowl prep, and all the nitty gritty details for well...today. I was tolerating the liquid diet, and had lost 12 lbs despite finally starting my period (the first time since May). The delay was due to my my thyroid going wonky and I needed to have it out in November. I was finally on a great dose of meds that made me have energy, lose weight, and have a period..so I was happy.

Thursday was when my world went upside down, and I became the most depressed woman in the world. The surgeon's office called and told me that they cancelled my surgery because my thyroid levels were too high. They told me that my TSH was 17. Yes, I agree that is high, but it is not the highest it has ever been. The reason this ****** me off is that they never EVER told me that this could be an issue. Even with my original blood work where my TSH was 20, no one ever said anything!!!

I explained my great symptoms to them, and they say they don't care. The surgeon won't do the surgery with that high number. I am floored. I have had many surgeries with a high TSH...some when I wasn't taking meds at all (yes, I know bad of me, but I was young and stupid). Also my former endo  said he approved the surgery, but then told them he didn't approve...which would be fine if he was still my doctor ( bad endo who passes off patients to their PCPs).

So long story short (I know, too late), I am sitting here at my computer when I should be in recovery by now. I am mad that no one ever told me this would be an issue, I am mad at them dropping the ball so to speak, and making me believe that I would get this surgery (especially since I already paid their asses!) Now, my only option is to get weekly blood tests to see where my levels are, and MAYBE someday I will get this surgery. MAYBE.

So, moral for all the pre ops, get your levels checked BEFORE going into the pre op testing if you have thyroid issues.

I made it though without crying. Awesome.

MeganGish
on 1/18/12 2:01 am - Ashland, KY
 I don't understand why your doctor won't operate with your tsh being that way.  My tsh was out of wack and my surgeon went ahead with. My surgery.   That's weird.  I guess they have a reason for everything but i do think they owe you an explanation and a good one at that. 
Cecilia W.
on 1/18/12 2:22 am - Northport, AL
RNY on 02/06/12
I don't understand either. They spouted some BS about "heart stopping on table". I think that is pure rubbish. If that was an issue, they wouldn't have performed thyroid surgery on me 2 months ago when my thyroid was even higher!! Now that I am on a higher dose, I am sleeping more, and more tired. I felt great on the other dose, now I feel like crap!

Reising22
on 1/18/12 2:03 am - Moreno Valley, CA
WOW I am so sorry...I am in the same boat my surgery is scheduled for Monday I just did labs this last Monday so I will be praying that nothing goes wrong with the labs. Surgery will come but I know it does not come fast enough.
Brittany M.
on 1/18/12 2:08 am
I went through something similar, with my surgery having to be delayed a month because my thyroid was out of whack.  I don't remember exactly why it was an issue (it's been 4 years now!), but I had to be on synthroid for a month and be retested (with normal numbers) before my surgery could be done. 

Keep your chin up!  It will happen for you.  This is just a small bump in the road.  And a year or two from now this will all be a distant memory.  That said, vent away!  We're here to listen.
Cecilia W.
on 1/18/12 2:24 am - Northport, AL
RNY on 02/06/12
I guess my main reason I am mad is that they never told me!! EVER!! I have looked into other surgeons already, but it would be like starting over, and I have already jumped through all their hoops, AND  paid them their blood money!!

angelajula
on 1/18/12 2:43 am - Eldersburg, MD
I almost lost my surgery too because of low TSH levels. I had about a weeks notice, and my PCP and I fudge things by almost doubling my dose for a week. I had a blood test showing a normal level and my insurance company    Aetna    said okay.

I hope things work out for you.  It's not a never, but still I know how you feel. I was sure my surgery was going to be cancelled. I don't know what I would have done.
Everybody has one fight. This is mine. ~ Stacie  
O*o*O*o*O*o*O*o*O*o*O*o*O*o*O*o*O*o*O*o*O*o*O*o*O*o*O*o*O*o*O*o*O*o*O*o*O
BrennaRawks
on 1/18/12 3:19 am - CT
RNY on 10/03/12
I can only imagine the anger and frustration you are feeling. I have no advice, being pre-op myself, but I couldn't read and not offer my support.
Autumn Jensen
on 1/18/12 3:28 am - Lind, WA
RNY on 03/06/12
I AM OFFERING MY SUPPORT TOO, EVEN THOUGH I DON'T HAVE THYROID PROBLEMS.

Cecilia W.
on 1/18/12 3:33 am - Northport, AL
RNY on 02/06/12
Thank you everyone for your caring and support. You all are so awesome! I am glad to be apart of this OH family.

I am getting ready for my PCP appointment, where I will be "telling on the other doctors". Hopefully, he and I will put together a plan to attack this. I am already on increased meds, and will request weekly blood tests to see how my levels go. Maybe he will even find me an endocrinologist who has a heart...and a brain. (probably only in Oz!)

Most Active
Recent Topics