Did your sense if smell change?

wvugal89
on 1/18/12 11:35 am - MD
 The one thing I have noticed since my surgery is that my sense of smell has increased ten fold. I have no idea why though? It's not making me hungry if anything it is doing the opposite! Sunday I went to a Caps game and in the row in front of me someone had ribs. I thought I was going to be ill because the scent was so strong. Just curious to see if this is unique or others have this too. 

Teri-Lynn
POI

Bettisima
on 1/18/12 11:45 am
Yes, I became very sensitive to smells. Some foods. I swear I could smell every grain of sugar. Walking past a bakery, it wasn't an appealing smell, it was horrid.

In time, I became less sensitive. I am 8 months out now, and don't have that reaction any more.
missjann
on 1/18/12 12:04 pm
Yes, both sense of smell and taste changed. I still can't stand the smell
of cooking meat of any kind, so I use tons of onions and garlic to cover
it up.  Some of the "smell sensitivity" has settled down with time, but
some things seem to have changed forever...also can't stand the smell
of tobasco sauce and dd uses it on everything. I swear I can tell where
she is by the smell of that horrid hot sauce!
    Jan

Lisssy
on 1/18/12 12:04 pm
 Same here my scent is very sensitive .. Im2 months and 1 week

Lori P.
on 1/18/12 12:24 pm - Kenosha, WI
I has this early out and it was bad!  I could smell things no one else did.  That sort of went away slowly over time.  Now it is just once in awhile that I notice this.

SW 212 / Goal 130 / Current 130

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/18/12 4:37 pm - OH
 It happens to some people but not to others.  For many who DO experience it early post-op, it fades over time.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

mustangmama
on 1/18/12 9:49 pm - TX
RNY on 01/03/12
My sense of smell was intense the first week, but now I don't even notice it anymore.

tahoelady1958
on 1/18/12 10:19 pm - reidsville, NC
RNY on 01/16/12
i am 3 days out and my sense of smell is awesome. when my sister came to pick me up at the hospital yesterday, i smelled her cologne before seeing her...kinda made me sick, cus the smell wouldnt go away...grrrr...and scented soap that i had never smelled before was intense...
Rita

T. Deeds
on 1/19/12 1:31 am
Yes, yes, yes, big time!  It was sooo bad after the surgery, I could smell everything. Just get some good air freshener and make sure your family empties the trash and keeps the dishes washed up.

hedrider
on 1/19/12 2:07 am - Midlothian, TX
I'm still much more sensitive to smells now than I used to be.  I'm not sure why that is!
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

Most Active
Recent Topics