Had rny is this normal?

Renee M.
on 2/7/12 2:25 am - OK
Ok I had surgery on January 16th ive lost 19.5lbs I lost 14lbs before surgery for a total loss of 33.5lbs. I feel like I should be losing faster??? I started at 5'8" 365lbs. I'm down to 331.5. I am in the pureed stage of food and I'm only getting only half of my daily protein. Not sure what to do I'm just not hungry it takes me several hours to eat one protein shake. Just need some advice.

Thanks
Renee
Alicia T.
on 2/7/12 2:33 am
RNY on 01/25/12
That's 6 1/2 lbs per week, which is no where near slow! RNYers typically lose about 3-5 lbs per week on average, so you're above average. Just keep following your post-op meal plan and you'll do just fine.

dianabelle12
on 2/7/12 2:33 am
Hi there that sounds like a good amount of weight to loose,you really shouldnt compare yourself to others because everyone looses at different rates.You need to try and get in the amount of protein and fluids you are required to have this will help you looses faster!Goodluck to you:)

Sarah R.
on 2/7/12 2:37 am
So you have lost 19.5 pounds in 3 weeks? Thats pretty darn good! Right out from surgery my plan only called for me to get like 34 g of protein a day in the liquid phase and then into the pureed stage. Just do your best to get your fluids down and whatever food your plan calls for. If you are doing those things then the weight will fall off as it will. I got my protein during pureed stage from 2 protein drinks a day, roughly 24 g apiece, also 1 cup of skim milk, ricotta cheese or cottage cheese, I also added nonflavored protein to my broth or soup.

Renee M.
on 2/7/12 2:48 am - OK
Ok the Dr told me that it was normal to only get half of my protein in which is what I'm doing. Having a hard time getting liquids in. I am going to work on that. I have been eating a lot of smusched pinto beans. Something different than broth. I do add protien to my foods and that's helped.
Renee M.
on 2/7/12 2:41 am - OK
Ok I'm just nervous. I just want to be health and my husbands boss is worried Bc I hadn't lost for like 3 days maybe I shouldn't be weighing everyday. I'm just ready to be thin.
(deactivated member)
on 2/7/12 10:15 am - Boston, MA
 You will NOT lose weight every single day... I go weeks without losing a pound and then drop 8 in 3 days.. weighing yourself isn't a problem but you have to be realistic you can't lose weight everyday and stalls are normal!! 
dianabelle12
on 2/7/12 2:55 am
hang in there it will happen honey!

Judy M.
on 2/7/12 3:00 am
I am losing 1 to 1.5 lbs a week and some weeks 0 since my surgery last october.  everyone is different.  i am thrilled with the 30 some odd lbs i have lost without getting flabby skin or losing my hair.  i eat 500-800 calories a day.  now i realize why i was unsuccessful prior to my RNY.

Kim S.
on 2/7/12 3:29 am - Helena, AL
Take a deep breath.

Now, put that scale away and only weigh once a week.

Follow your plan and you will be fine.  This is a marathon, not a sprint.  Pace yourself and the rest will take care of itself.

You are healing from major surgery-your body is going to be out of sorts for a period of time.  Get your protein, walk, sip and get ready for an amazing journey that isn't defined by a small amount of time, it is defined by the rest of your time on this planet!!

Hugs-Kim.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 331 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 367 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 330 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 192 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 324 views