Meat question

Jenspunky
on 2/7/12 11:24 am
RNY on 01/16/12

When, if you have, did you eat roast beef (slices) and/or a "softer" type of beef like fillet Mignon?

I'm at the start of my 4th week, and really craving beef.  I wonder if I could puree it? LOL...

~Jenna 
RNY 1/16/12

exohexoh
on 2/7/12 11:28 am - West Chester, PA
 i waited until i was allowed "solid" foods, which luckily for me was 4 weeks out i think. it seems a lot of people have problems with beef, luckily i don't. if you're only on purees i wouldn't try it yet, wait until you are on soft foods and get some roast beef lunch meat.

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

Thumbelina
on 2/7/12 11:29 am - MI
 I can't eat beef.. But I do remember trying to purée it.. It was seriously gross!
Winnie_the_Pooh
on 2/7/12 11:29 am
It may not be the type of beef you want but you could puree ground beef pretty easily.   Wendy's chili is  a favorite for people in the soft stage.  Roast beef was tough to chew at first.  I was suppose to wait 6 months before eating steak and I did. 

Winnie

Mandi_1-3-12
on 2/7/12 11:31 am
I am 5 weeks out and made NY Steak in the crockpot last night.  It was SUPER tender, and I was able to eat 2 pieces lol....I had to chew chew chew, because I was afraid it would get stuck...I also ate it really slow.  And yes, you can puree it!  lol
(deactivated member)
on 2/7/12 11:49 am - waukesha, WI
I waited until 10 weeks after surgery.  Beef goes down better than chicken for me. 
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/7/12 11:55 am - OH
 I'm too far out to remember exactly when I added beef (it was fairly early, though, since my surgeon's plan was pretty  liberal... Soft foods even before we came home from the hospital), but even now (4.5 years post-op) I don't eat most deli roast beef (or at Arby's and similar places) because it is just too hard to chew it up properly.  The first beef I tried, and 75% of the beef I eat even now, is filet mignon because of how tender and flavorful it is.  I had no problem at all adding in the filet to my diet; pork was what I had trouble being able to chew (and not get nauseous with) for a while.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

lilbear412
on 2/7/12 11:56 am - MN
 i love beef but surprisingly even when i put it in the crockpot and it was really tender it was still stringy and hard to puree and i couldn't eat it..so i waited until i really got onto more solid food and then did babysteps with it...tonight i ate a 4 oz sirloin so now i am ok..lol  still i don't eat beef near as much as i used to.

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

justthe3ofus
on 2/7/12 12:11 pm - Northwest, IN
I am 12 weeks out. I tried a crock pot beef roast about 2 weeks ago and it didn't work out so well for me. The meat was extremely tender but I just didn't feel I could chew it enough to swallow without it getting stuck. I have no troubles using lean ground beef if its finely chopped. I also tried a small piece of filet mignon last night without issue.

I also have a problem with chicken. When I do manage to get it down it feels like a brick in my pouch after a bite or two. It makes me feel miserable. I have had no issues with pork roast or fish.

If beef is on your surgeons plan than take it slowly. If it doesn't work out for you now try again in a few weeks. Listen to what your body tells you.
Kim B.

HW 295/ SW 281/ CW 209.6/ GW 155
The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Jenspunky
on 2/7/12 12:27 pm
RNY on 01/16/12

TY guys for all the responses.  I may try a bit of Boar's head rare roast beef this week (it's really soft).  I've often tried to chew something to a puree but when I wasn't 100% sure it was soft enough, I just didn't swallow it.  The last time I had filet mignon I remember it was very soft but I will ask the nutritionist tomorrow about it.  

According to my guidebook, as of yesterday I'm on a stage III diet.  It includes chicken but I tried a small bite chicken last week (I know, too early and a STUPID move) and it left me writhing in pain for 10 minutes.  It can wait a few months.  But I'd really like to add some red meats for now, to increase iron and protein and because I miss them.

~Jenna 
RNY 1/16/12

Most Active
Recent Topics